Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rado 'caliber numbers' vs base calibers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pimpclinic.v.s.o.p. View Post
    sorry for my bad english.
    i wanted to make clear the this seller could know some of the old Rado Workers/Designers/Salesman or any employees .
    if anyone would know him it would be easy to ask him for further information on it.
    he could be a good source ...

Cheers,
    Marcus...maybe you better get to know him.

Comment

Peseux 7001- Rado 308- n/a.
      Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

ETA 2789 - 406 - 2798 - Diastar 8
        ETA 2824 - 404 - 2824 - Golden Horse Sapphire
        ETA 2824 - 406 - 2824 - Balboa Great
        ETA 2824 - 304 - - Balboa Eiger
        ETA 2783 - 202 - 2797 - Balboa
        ETA 2789-1 - 603 - 2798-1- Balboa 17 DayDate
        ETA 2783 - 203 - 2797 - Balboa
        ETA 2783 - 403 - 2797 - Eiger
        ETA 2789-1 - 608 - 2798-1 - Diastar 8/1
        ETA 2824 - 403 - 2824 - Balboa Breithorn
        ETA 2789 - 301 - 2798 - Trident 400
        ETA 2789 - 202 - 2798 - Diastar 52
        Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

ETA 2789 - 409 - 2798 - Sapphire Gazelle - Gilt - 25 Jewels

Rado 409-2798-2789.jpg

Comment

Maybe it would be useful to get infos on every Rado model release date to add them to the model/Movement/3 digit Rado number.
            I am pretty sure that would display a pattern somehow...

That could be a working register:

Movement | Movement Plate Number | Rado model release date | model | internal 3-digit number
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Last edited by pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.; 12-27-2016, 10:33 AM.
            Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

I think it would be a worthwhile exercise, even if just for reference purposes and to quickly determine what movement belongs with what watch.

I'm doubtful about any pattern being revealed, at least with the pre 1972 5 digit models. It seems to me that as Rado developed a new model they assigned a sequential number to it, and if that model made it into the wild it kept the number. If the model died in development the number died with it.

It's just my thought though and I'm most likely wrong. However, I have seen this method used in a number of manufacturing industries.

It's worth remembering that there is no fixed ETA = Rado correlation. A 2836-2 could be a 636 or a 648, for example. A 2789 could be a 309, a 409 or a 625, amongst others. Rado assign a different 3 digit code depending on whether the movement is gilt or silver (nickel?) colored, and of course for different jewel counts. I would expect they also do this when they use a 2836 but don't actually use the day wheel, as has happened a couple of times.

I've started preparing my own list with the following fields:

3 Digit Code
              Base movement
              Rado Calibre number
              Jewels
              Plating/finish
              Example watch model

I agree that the Rado model release date would be most helpful. However, these are probably hard to come by, particularly with the older models. I have just been sorting them by case style - e.g. Two Horse/Three Horse/Press fit/Bayonet/Screw down to try and get a handle on it.

I'm sure that many members (and probably yourself, included) have already made personal lists with much of this data, and there has probably been much duplication of effort. I think Brad said in one of his posts that he is concerned about too much of this information being readily available as it could assist fakers to perfect their copies. However, I'm not sure if this would really apply to the vintage watch world.

If such a list is to be compiled it would be worthwhile using an online spreadsheet (Microsoft or Google) with editing access restricted to those actively taking part in the exercise. That could be one way to pool resources and allow peer review of the data to ensure the information is accurate.

These are just random thoughts...
              Last edited by HarryMoon; 07-14-2015, 05:55 AM.

Comment

ETA 2824 - 2824 501 - Diastar 1/E Chronometer
                ETA 2824 - 2824 401 - Frigate
                ETA 2824 - 2824 311 - Balboa 32
                ETA 2789 - 2798 309 - Musketeer VII
                ETA 2824 - 2824 406 - Balboa Eiger MKI
                PESEUX 7001 - 503 - Silverlepor
                ETA 2824 - 2824 502 - Balboa Deluxe
                ETA 2824 - 2824 409 - Balboa Deluxe
                ETA 2824 - 2824 403 - Balboa Deluxe
                ETA 2824 - 2824 311 - Brown Tiger
                ETA 2824 - 2824 212 - Schreckhorn
                Last edited by pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.; 10-30-2015, 02:02 PM.
                Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

ETA 2789 - 2798 - 203 - Golden Sabre
                  AS 1859 - 903 - Green Horse Daymaster 11706 (MK2)
                  ETA 2824 - 2824 - 403 - Gorner
                  ETA 2824 - 2824 - 402 - Gorner
                  Last edited by pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.; 12-13-2015, 02:35 PM.
                  Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

ETA 2824 - 2824 - 301 - Rado Schilthorn
                    ETA 2824 - 2824 - 405 - Rado Eiger MK1
                    ETA 2788 - 2794 - 102 - Rado Diastar 8/1 (mirror dial)
                    Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

ETA 2824 - 2824 - 306 - Rado Schreckhorn
                      ETA 2824 - __ - 308 - Rado Schreckhorn
                      Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

ETA 2824 - 2824 - 312 - Schreckhorn
                        ETA 2824 - 2824 - 309 - Schreckhorn
                        ETA 2782 - - - 009 - Diastar 1
                        Last edited by pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.; 02-21-2016, 06:16 AM.
                        Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

ETA 2789 - 2798 - 405 - Certina Rado Diamaster (DS 515)
                          Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

Originally posted by pimpclinic.v.s.o.p. View Post
                            sorry for my bad english.
                            i wanted to make clear the this seller could know some of the old Rado Workers/Designers/Salesman or any employees .
                            if anyone would know him it would be easy to ask him for further information on it.
                            he could be a good source ...

Cheers,
                            OK, Marcus, you have had three years and four months to cultivate this relationship.
                            Shall we expect a full report in the new year?

Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Originally posted by HarryMoon View Post
                              I think it would be a worthwhile exercise, even if just for reference purposes and to quickly determine what movement belongs with what watch.

I'm doubtful about any pattern being revealed, at least with the pre 1972 5 digit models. It seems to me that as Rado developed a new model they assigned a sequential number to it, and if that model made it into the wild it kept the number. If the model died in development the number died with it.

It's just my thought though and I'm most likely wrong. However, I have seen this method used in a number of manufacturing industries.

It's worth remembering that there is no fixed ETA = Rado correlation. A 2836-2 could be a 636 or a 648, for example. A 2789 could be a 309, a 409 or a 625, amongst others. Rado assign a different 3 digit code depending on whether the movement is gilt or silver (nickel?) colored, and of course for different jewel counts. I would expect they also do this when they use a 2836 but don't actually use the day wheel, as has happened a couple of times.

I've started preparing my own list with the following fields:

3 Digit Code
                              Base movement
                              Rado Calibre number
                              Jewels
                              Plating/finish
                              Example watch model

I agree that the Rado model release date would be most helpful. However, these are probably hard to come by, particularly with the older models. I have just been sorting them by case style - e.g. Two Horse/Three Horse/Press fit/Bayonet/Screw down to try and get a handle on it.

I'm sure that many members (and probably yourself, included) have already made personal lists with much of this data, and there has probably been much duplication of effort. I think Brad said in one of his posts that he is concerned about too much of this information being readily available as it could assist fakers to perfect their copies. However, I'm not sure if this would really apply to the vintage watch world.

If such a list is to be compiled it would be worthwhile using an online spreadsheet (Microsoft or Google) with editing access restricted to those actively taking part in the exercise. That could be one way to pool resources and allow peer review of the data to ensure the information is accurate.

These are just random thoughts...
                              Harry, these are awesome ideas...
                              Does anyone have an online spreadsheet option we could use?
                              Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Maybe....i have been invited to visit Lengnau in less than two weeks. A good friend of mine from Zürich wants to take me there, looking forward too it.
                                The bad thing is: i absolutely have forgotten who the NCC505 seller´s been....WTF! OK, three years is a lot of time.
                                I will try hard to get some fresh information on the Rado thing pretty soon..what a fortune, eh?
                                Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

Working...
                                X