Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Certina DiaMaster/Rado DiaStar 515

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Certina DiaMaster/Rado DiaStar 515

    Hi!

    Found This Certina DiaMaster/Rado DiaStar 515 on a Belgian auction site when I was searching for Certina DM pics in the www. That site is a bit different from the bay - you have a deal if you accept the price or if the seller accepts a lower bid - thereīs no time limit on the offer. So I made a decent bid and the seller accepted. Thanx again to Marcus for reflating this old thread.





    What about the dial? Black, grey or dark blue?
    Today it arrived:







    Itīs a sort of anthracite/graphite colour with a nice structure, changing itīs lightness dependent from the intensity of light and the angle of view.
    The watch is simply fantastic and in excellent condition!
    Certina-marked crown:



    No marking on the back except a Rado reference number:



    Inside I expect an ETA 2789, but I still havenīt opened it yet. It works fine and keeps time accurately.
    I bet this watch has never seen a Certina factory from inside and is completely made by Rado.
    It came with a very nice and massive German ROWI bracelet, unfortunately much too short:



    I found a Rado bracelet for 20 mm lugs - very nice but incredible dirty and scratched. After 20 min in my new US-cleaner and 60 min removing scratches and restoring the brushing with sandpaper(600 grain), I could mount it:



    Iīm very happy with my "new" rare Certina DM/Rado DS 515, never seen another one before.

    Last edited by mike184; 05-05-2012, 11:42 AM.
    Best regards, Mike
    vintage-rado.de


  • #2
    Stunning!

    Congratulations on an exceptional acquisition!
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mike184 View Post
      Hi!

      Found This Certina DiaMaster/Rado DiaStar 515 on a Belgian auction site when I was searching for Certina DM pics in the www. That site is a bit different from the bay - you have a deal if you accept the price or if the seller accepts a lower bid - thereīs no time limit on the offer. So I made a decent bid and the seller accepted. Thanx again to Marcus for reflating this old thread.





      What about the dial? Black, grey or dark blue?
      Today it arrived:







      Itīs a sort of anthracite/graphite colour with a nice structure, changing itīs lightness dependent from the intensity of light and the angle of view.
      The watch is simply fantastic and in excellent condition!
      Certina-marked crown:



      No marking on the back except a Rado reference number:



      Inside I expect an ETA 2789, but I still havenīt opened it yet. It works fine and keeps time accurately.
      I bet this watch has never seen a Certina factory from inside and is completely made by Rado.
      It came with a very nice and massive German ROWI bracelet, unfortunately much too short:



      I found a Rado bracelet for 20 mm lugs - very nice but incredible dirty and scratched. After 20 min in my new US-cleaner and 60 min removing scratches and restoring the brushing with sandpaper(600 grain), I could mount it:



      Iīm very happy with my "new" rare Certina DM/Rado DS 515, never seen another one before.

      Great looking Certina/Rado. You have a winner there!

      Comment


      • #4
        great watch mike, congrats!
        im glad this one is in this outstanding condition. i love the green lume dots and hands, great contrast!
        if the day and date is changing in one second at 12, its a ETA 2789-1, my 515 does it!

        100€ for this banger....unbelievable!!!

        my aubergine diamaster is still on the way to my door, will also post some pics, too!

        greetings,
        Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

        Comment


        • #5
          Amazing

          Great catch Mike that case is stunning!

          I looks like you could use those case edges to shave in the morning theyare that razor sharp and crisp.

          Wear it in health and happiness I expect that will get a lot of wrist time.
          The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits - Albert Einstein

          View my collection photostream at FLICKER

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanx, guys!

            Surely one of the nicest acquisitions to my collection and one of my best deals ever!
            Originally posted by pimpclinic.v.s.o.p. View Post
            ... if the day and date is changing in one second at 12, its a ETA 2789-1, my 515 does it!

            100€ for this banger....unbelievable!!!
            Unfortunately I looked on the TV-screen at 0:00 but though Iīm sure itīs a 2789. It has a 625.xxxx.x reference. Up to now it runs fine, lost 20 sec/day. Hacking feature and French days only.
            Not really I expected that my bid of 100.- € would be accepted.
            But sometimes you just have to be lucky ...
            Originally posted by SUCRAM1161 View Post
            I looks like you could use those case edges to shave in the morning theyare that razor sharp and crisp.
            Indeed it shaves very well and Iīm selling my old Gilette Mach 3 at the exchange.
            Best regards, Mike
            vintage-rado.de

            Comment


            • #7
              What a bargain! Congratulations Mike that is a fine looking 515. I love the edges on the 515- so sharp.
              Wear it in health!






              What's the service history on that Mach 3?
              Solve all your doubts through question mode.

              Comment


              • #8
                Brandnew razorblades and dishwasher-cleaned recently.



                100.- €?

                Thanx Henry!
                Best regards, Mike
                vintage-rado.de

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pimpclinic.v.s.o.p. View Post
                  ... if the day and date is changing in one second at 12, its a ETA 2789-1, my 515 does it!
                  Probably the older 2789 inside, it takes time for the change of the day- and date-disc - starts at 22:30 and is finished after 0:00.
                  Whatīs the reference-no. on your DS 515?
                  Best regards, Mike
                  vintage-rado.de

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Mike, No reference number on mine... just Diastar 515 on the NCC style back. By that I mean the back has the typical NCC markings. I will say that the serial number -- and this may be coincidence -- begins with 515..
                    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits - Albert Einstein

                    View my collection photostream at FLICKER

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanx Mark!
                      What about the day/date change? 1 second or slowly?
                      Best regards, Mike
                      vintage-rado.de

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        in a second ! the daydate quick change thing... ^^

                        btw. did you already shipped the starliner project?
                        cheers,
                        Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Check your emails.
                          Best regards, Mike
                          vintage-rado.de

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            my red diamaster should arrive tomorrow.
                            canīt await to shave away my leg hairs to be shaped for the racebike saison 2012 (never had some razor blades)
                            Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Ah, less aerodynamic resistance ...
                              Best regards, Mike
                              vintage-rado.de

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X