Info on dating Rado's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on dating Rado's

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anybody could help me find information on how to date/age rado watches. Any help would be greatly appreciated it. Thanks.

Brian, try checking out the third sticky at the top of the forum. If you have the serial number you can find the production beginning and end dates of the more common models.
    Last edited by brandonkozoris; 08-05-2008, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Correction: The serial number isn't likely to do much good in dating a watch, but the reference number and model name are very helpful.

If you post here or e-mail me with your data, I can check it against a list of models provided me by Rado 5 years ago. It is not a complete roster and mainly includes watches from 1958-1980.

Cheers,
      Brad
      Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

When dating Rados......

it's very important to make them feel special. Dinner and movies used to be ok but these days they expect more intellectual activities like a gallery or the opera.
        This is not like dating a seiko where a quick sushi meal is followed by a romp in the hay. A Rado can be a haughty beast.
        1/ Hold hands only on first date (carefully as they can be expensive if damaged)
        2/ Do not go for the full service on the first date. (yes Jay I' talking to you)
        3/ Do not think that a 40 year old Rado will be impressed by special tools and polish creams.
        Remember, a vintage Rado comes from an era where innocence reigned in Switzerland, where the populace ran through the meadows yodeling before a meal of cheese fondue and stale bread.
        Be careful.
        Last edited by Watch Carefully; 08-07-2008, 11:16 AM. Reason: I couldn't help fixing a typo...:D

Comment

Just for my own knowledge, (to prevent future miscomunication) what is the difference between the reference number and the serial number?

I looked at my Original, and the case has number 10391914 and the back has number 658.0637.3

Is 658.0637.3 the reference number?

Comment

Understanding Rado Reference Numbers

Exactly. Some models have both, some models have none, some models have one or the other. It's largely a crap-shoot.

Reference numbers, however, almost always confirm to one of the two typical Rado styles.

Short numbers (pre-1973)
            Ladies watches are 3 or 4 digits (eg, 774 or 7040)
            Men's watches have 5 digits (eg, 11707)

8-Digit numbers (1972 to 1990s)
            Ladies watches begin with 5 or 9 (eg, 558.3008.4. or 999.3003.4.)
            Men's watches begin with 6 (eg, 625.3065.4.)

These long references should always be in the xxx.xxxx.x format, with the last digit representing the presence of a bracelet or straps, I think. (Note: Batonman's more recent research has suggested this may be an indicator of steel or gold-plated finish)

Case serial numbers vary greatly--some have an initial letter; it has been suggested that these are not Swiss-made but rather Asian contract cases (T for Taiwan; K for Japan?). I'm unsure.

I hope this helps.
            Brad
            Last edited by Watch Carefully; 09-10-2010, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Thats too funny betelgeuse.
              But you really are sick...

Congrats on 100 posts.

Peace,
              Scott
              I glance at my wrist more often just to look at my RADO than to see what time it is.

http://www.facebook.com/Bujumon

Comment

Stu ... you're mad ....

Hi Stu,

I thoroughly enjoyed that Rado dating experience. Will keep it in mind not to go for the full service on the first date.... well done..... can't stop laughing ....

Take it easy ..

Kind regards,
                Jay
                IntrenUK

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                  Exactly. Some model shave both, some models have none, some models have one or the other. It's largely a crap-shoot.

Reference numbers, however, almost always confirm to one of the two typical Rado styles.

Short numbers (pre-1973)
                  Ladies watches are 3 or 4 digits (eg, 774 or 7040)
                  Men's watches have 5 digits (eg, 11707)

9-Digit numbers (1972 to 1990s)
                  Ladies watches begin with 5 or 9 (eg, 558.3008.4. or 999.3003.4.)
                  Men's watches begin with 6 (eg, 625.3065.4.)

These long references should always be in the xxx.xxxx.x format, with the last digit representing the presence or absence of a bracelet or straps, I think.

Serials numbers vary greatly--some have an initial letter; it has been suggested that these are not Swiss-made but rather Asien contract cases. I'm unsure.

I hope this helps.
                  Brad
                  Brad, you make an interesting observation regarding the last didgit of the 9-digit ref. no.

Do you think that some of the Rado models had a strap/bracelet option for the dealer to install? In other words, a dealer option for the customer to buy a leather strap or a metal bracelet?

Comment

Good question. Clearly some models (such as those with a single central lug) were meant only to be sold with a specific bracelet (some Gazelles, the automatic alarm, etc.). Others with normal lugs could be offered with straps, but I tend to think the watches were delivered with the correct bracelet installed from the factory...perhaps the reference number was useful for assembly rather than just sales/distribution purposes.

Presumably, almost any Rado could be bought with straps if the customer wished. I wonder if many chose straps over the intended bracelet.
                    B

Comment

Bravo!
                      A brilliant summary of advice to the novice Rado fancier.
                      B

Comment

Originally posted by betelgeuse View Post
                        ...3/ Do not think that a 40 year old Rado will be impressed by special tools and polish creams...
                        Rolling on the floor here....

Comment

Heheheheheheh............

Got no reply to that!

Rados are remarkably addictive and you will crave more expensive and rare models the longer you have this affliction!
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Like Gadgets? Check out - http://GadgetyNews.com
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                          X