No announcement yet.

Voyager

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck building one correct Spherematic from the pair. Finding a well-preserved dial for that watch is quite a coup.
    Those numbers are a complete mystery to me.
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Hi!

I seem to have found another Franken-Spherematic at eBay UK.
      The "Purple-Horse"-dial is very similar to my "Starliner"-dial - with different surface and markers but also printed except the Rado- and the floating-anchor-logo. Itīs steel and the hands seem to be genuine.

Last edited by mike184; 03-30-2008, 07:39 PM.
      Best regards, Mike
      vintage-rado.de

Comment

That one looks like a re-printed Starliner dial to me. Also, the lighting may be tricking me, but the logo appears gold. The case does appear to be the Spherematic type, with those tiny lugs.
        Brad

Comment

Hmm ... dial certainly looks repainted, but not sure if it is a Starliner dial which was repainted. The hour markers are of the Starliner type, but they could have replaced the original hour markers. Notice the marker at 9 facing the opposite direction. These types of markers were on a flat dial, at least on those Starliners I have with these markers. This dial appears curved at the edges, but this could be the lighting playing tricks as rad suggests. And yes the anchor appears gold, possibly replaced also.
          The case is interesting. Tiny lugs and what appears to be a snap on back.
          Adds up to an early Rado I believe, late 1950s early 1960s with replaced hour markers and anchor and incorrectly repainted dial. The raised Rado lettering appears wobbly also. Not too sure which model it originally was, possibly a Spherematic, as Brad suggests. I have an early Golden Horse with a similar case. A puzzle indeed.
          ken
          I'm so sick and tired of my friends who can't handle their alcohol. The other night they dropped me three times while carrying me to the car

Comment

Starliner Dial - Spherematic Case ....

Hi Mike,

A good find. Looks like a deffo. Spherematic Case, if I have ever seen one! Access to the dial and movement is through the acrylic crystal and the back is just a non working feature and glued on.

The dial is not original to this watch. It is a probably a Starliner dial repainted with Purple Horse. The rotatable Anchor deffo. didn't start life with this dial. The hour markers are stainless and the rotatable anchor is gilt, very suspect. The Rado logo seems to have been badly handled as well. Taken off at the refinishing stage and then glued on in haste, leaving the letter 'O' in RADO a bit out of sorts.

The Spherematic had tiny rounded hour markers to the dial as you have shown us before with an example you have, a very distinct feature to the Spherematic.

I'd say a 'franken' and one to avoid unless you need a Spherematic case or parts that is! Walk away from the Spherematic/Starliner/Purple Horse!

I have a pic of a Spherematic here. Original unfinished dial. One I had sold many, many moons ago ...

Kind regards,
            Jay
            IntrenUK
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Jay IntrenUK; 03-31-2008, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Do those really have a 1-piece front-loader case with a glued-on Rado-logo plate over the back?
              How unusual!

Comment

Hi Jay,

now you have to help me with my english - what means deffo.? Canīt find it in a dictionary or acronym finder ...
                If the Spherematic on your pic is original - which I believe you - then we have two different types of them. On my ones(the "Starliner" and the one I bought from Spain - not arrived yet) and on all the ones I posted pictures from, you canīt see the clamps for fixing the strap from above(they are hidden under the case), on yourīs, they are visable.
                You can service my one from below - it has definitely a working snap-on-back and you can see another one with an additional dustcover at one of the posted pics.
                I like the steel-finish-version with the black dial.
                Last edited by mike184; 04-11-2008, 09:26 AM.
                Best regards, Mike
                vintage-rado.de

Comment

Deffo = definitely

Comment

Thanx, Brad!

Why doesnīt this stupid acronym finder know that?
                    Best regards, Mike
                    vintage-rado.de

Comment

The one I have had experience with certainly has ..

Hi Brad,

The one Spherematic that I had worked on certainly had a 1 case construction with access to the dial/movement through the crystal. The back case was just for show. I think it had a AS17xx movement, I can't recall correctly will have to look at some notes. Unusual it certainly was!

What I do remember was that it was impossible getting a Rado signed crown due to the tap size of the crown. Something I couldn't put right irrespective of all my efforts. I recall leaving the replaced unsigned crown as it was due to that.

Kind regards,
                      Jay
                      IntrenUK

Comment

Brad beat me to it ...

Hi Mike,

Deffo. is an acronym for Definitely as Brad very kindly confirmed. I am not sure of the Rado variations available with the Spherematic but I guess they did come up with different case types and dial scripts. I recall seeing one with an Atomik script to the dial on the forum here a while ago, so I guess there were a few of these made possibly with different case construction as well. It would be interesting to learn on exact number provided we had some case references, sadly I have none.

The one I was fortunate to sell was a couple of years ago and although it was in perfect used condition it did lack the all important case reference numbers and the signed crown.

Kind regards,
                        Jay
                        IntrenUK

Comment

On Reference Numbers...

Jay, you bring up an interesting point regarding reference numbers. They can be very helpful but also a bane. For example, most eBay sellers do not list the ref. # on their auction description and a buyer should count himself lucky if it is visible inthe photos or the seller will respond to a request for the #s. On the other hand, often we see that a watch has incorrect numbers which makes us question whether the model name on the dial is correct for the case back (or even the entire case style).

Also, Rado failed entirely to assign a reference number to many watches (eg, Diastar 1, Marstron, Stratojet, Balboa) or even possibly re-used reference numbers after the initial series was issued (eg, Starliner 11757 and 11757/1).

Thus, there is much confusion caused by the existence of ref. #s even though sometimes they are very valuable in determining the approximate age and rarity of some models.

Cheers,
                          Brad

Comment

Reference numbers ...

Hi Brad,

The entire point of Rado assigning reference numbers is a big issue and the lack of records at Rado HQ is an added problem. Ultimately the Rado brand is a mid-range Swiss Watch Design house that has grown slowly over time. A previous post where I had read that the Marco Polo is not actually classed or rated as an official Rado goes to prove that. I think you will find the absence of reference numbers is strife with certain 'regional' Rado models as you have noted with the Balboa, Marstron and StratoJet. I wouldn't be surprised if an enquiry to Rado will come back with a reply stating that these too weren't 'official' Rado models. I think Rados notice on its official website stating 'Buying Rado watches from the Internet is a risk' is very valid.

It is difficult to say where Rado stands on their past performance of assigning reference numbers to watches. I have noted this on several vintage examples which makes it even more difficult to determine the authenticity of many vintage cases and casebacks to watches being sold on our favourite auction site today. Which is why I always suggest that people maintain a close eye on what is out there and do a bit of leg work before they buy. I would say the entire reference number issue is a shared problem between Rados past policies and current internet auction vendors. Most watches sold on ebay have had their cases are buffed and over buffed removing any trace of numbers, this is sometimes done intentionally to facilitate the use of cases to match casebacks and vice versa. This is also done to entice potential buyers with a near perfect shiny vintage example.

IMHO Rados are fantastic watches and very good value for money. They remain top on my list of collectible watches. The popularity and value of the finer vintage Rado examples has increased 3 fold in the last 3 years but also has its downfalls, the popularity of vintage Rados has also given rise to a massive salvage market churning out 'marriage' and 'franken' Rados.

This will continue to be a problem with vintage Rados and the only way around the whole reference number issue to determine authenticity, age and rarity is for us all to learn a bit more about the brand, the individual watches out there and to then make educated judgments before we commit to buy.

I guess thats where the Rado Discussion Forum plays an important part.

Kind regards,
                            Jay
                            IntrenUK

Comment

This should be our manifesto, especially this portion:

This will continue to be a problem with vintage Rados and the only way around the whole reference number issue to determine authenticity, age and rarity is for us all to learn a bit more about the brand, the individual watches out there and to then make educated judgments before we commit to buy.

Thanks very much Jay, for your insight and support.
                              Brad

Comment

Hi!

Meanwhile the Voyager has arrived:

The dial isnīt genuine, the Rado-logo at 9, the day and date window and the printed "Voyager" and "Swiss Made" are not in a parallel line. The hands seem to be too short for this dial, the rotating anchor-logo is moving. Difficult to say which part comes from which model except the back ...
                                But it has an ETA 2878 with 17 jewels, gold plated and looking like fresh from the factory, well running. That alone is worth the 20.- € for the watch.
                                The crystal is mineral, not plexiglass. The screw down back is from a Companion Mk III or from a Silver Sabre, the case(nice cushion-form with characteristic lines) is a little bit similar to Voyager-cases Iīve seen but not identical. Difficult to say which part comes from which model except the back.

Voyager-case from eBay, Iīve seen this form very often.
                                Best regards, Mike
                                vintage-rado.de

Comment

Working...
                                X