OT: Another of my famous music posts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Another of my famous music posts.

Not German, Russian, or Mongol, this time, although I have a really neat Kirghiz pop song in my files. Nope, pure Motown classic, covered by Joan Osborne (no relation to Ozzy). The band is a Motown session band, old pros as you can tell from glasses, waistlines, hair or lack thereof, etc. Go by name of the Funk Brothers

Point is, guys, this one is pure magic. They were all In the Zone. Something special. Tell me what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA0GcXV2njY

Sorry about any commercials.

George
    Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Great choice George, the Funk Bros much like the Wrecking Crew are the unknown legends who played on countless #1 hits. If you don't already have it, I can highly recommend this doco.

20190823_104116_resized.jpg .
    20190823_104039_resized.jpg

Comment

That's actually where this video came from.
      Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Yes, I knew it was on there, there's that track and lots more. Well worth a look.

Comment

And for those of you who want to explore other backing bands, the Swampers (Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section) and of course the house band at Stax... Al Jackson, Duck Dunn, Steve Cropper, Booker T. Jones (Booker T and the MG's), also Louis Steinberg, horn guys Wayne Jackson and Andrew Love, some guy named Isaac Hayes... music is a language all its own, and those who speak it, bless those of us who listen to the product of their passion, imagination and cooperation.

Comment

If not already doing it.... you should write more.

"music is a language all its own, and those who speak it, bless those of us who listen to the product of their passion, imagination and cooperation."
            "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Duck Dunn... Is he the guy from the Blues Brothers prison band?

Comment

The late Donald "Duck" Dunn, bass player extraordinaire, was indeed in the "Blue Brothers" band; as was his Booker T & the MG's band-mate, guitarist, Steve Cropper. I loved watching them play together. Duck was a terrific guy to listen to whether playing or telling stories about the music and the men (and a few women) who played it. They were part of an amazing confluence of people born and raised in or close to Memphis who created new horizons of music. Would that there have been as astute businessmen involved in the Memphis music scene as there were (and are) in Nashville. And yes I am an unabashed fan of my adopted home state!

Comment

I have seen them perform with several Motown groups in the 1960's and 70's. I grew up on the edge of Washington DC and saw the Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Smoky Robinson, the Supremes, David Ruffin & the Temptations, Aretha Franklin, etc..
                  I am living the dream in Hawaii.

Comment

Working...
                  X