O.T. Western Trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. Western Trip

Just got back. 7000 miles and 14 days. Went out through Northern Michigan (Mackinaw City), the Dakotas, down through Yellowstone to Dinosaur Country (NW Colorado) to Telluride and Monument Valley, over to Zion and down to Vegas for a business meeting on 7/26.

Came back on I70 through Kansas, Missouri, Indiana, Ohio and into Pa. I hit rain yesterday in the Western Mountains of Pa. that totally blinded me on the turnpike. All I could do was follow the spray from the truck tires in front of me. Thank God for the 1 Mil miles of MC experience.

For what it's worth, I70 is to be avoided. There was serious road construction and detours all the way. I only took the interstate because I had to be back by 7/30.

I had forgotten just how incredibly boring Kansas is from a scenery standpoint.

All in all, a great trip. Even at my age, the 600-700 mile days (10-12 hours) were still no problem. I'm not sure I could have done it at 25.

When I get them all organized and sorted, I'll try and post more.

It's always good to be home.

Kurt

Yellowstone

Yellowstone- The Lamar Valley

Beartooth Pass

Zion National Park

Mexican Hat in Monument Valley

Monument Valley- If you listen closely, you can hear John Ford talking to John Wayne.

Last edited by kurt48; 07-31-2019, 12:30 PM.
    "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Wow what a trip! I was just thinking about you last night and wondering how you got on. Cool stuff Kurt
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Thanks TK.

Comment

Awesome trip, Kurt - beautiful scenery too. Yes, driving through Kansas is not too exciting - it's mostly flat fields. If you're ever near KC again, let me know - it would be great to meet ya.

Comment

Thanks Mike, I went right through both KC and St Louis. I used to stay at the Alameda Plaza
          right off the 'ditch' when I had business over on Burlington.

One of my best friends lives in Overland Park, but now spends most of his time in Naples Fla.

It would be great to personally meet you too.

Next time!

Kurt

Comment

Very nice Kurt! What watch(es) did you wear?

Comment

I wore my Swiss Military 20,000 feet the whole time, but honestly, never looked at it.
              The Bike had a GPS screen with the time prominently displayed.

I'm in the process of a major sell off. I've been happier lately just wearing 2 or 3.

Thanks

Kurt
              Last edited by kurt48; 07-31-2019, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Beautiful country! Sounds like it was a great trip!
                JP

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

What a great trip, glad it went so well for you. What a relaxing, enjoyable 14 days. We need to do a trip like that soon, just to get away for more than a few days.. Thanks for the inspiration...
                  sigpic Let the music be your Master, will you heed the Master's call?

Comment

Thanks JP, it really was.

Comment

My pleasure.

Comment

Awesome looking trip.
                        Keith

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks. Several years ago I rode the Trans-Canada from Thunder Bay to Calgary. Four
                          days of solid rain. It was a Moose Convention all the way. You literally couldn't ride at
                          night because they were all over the road.

Beautiful country.

Kurt

Comment

What a great trip. The pictures brought back memories for me. This is an amazing country. As for Kansas, I used to feel the same, then someone taught me to look up more, and appreciate the vastness of the vista. I wish I had thought that way growing up at the bottom of Mississippi Delta. Please post more pictures with travelogue.

J.

Comment

Thanks, but IMHO, you'll NEVER be able to make Kansas pretty, either looking up or down.

:-)

Kurt

Comment

Working...
                              X