Titanium, Titanium, Titanium!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanium, Titanium, Titanium!

Titanium Atomic Number 22, named after the Titans of Greek mythology. I can not explain why I like it so much but if it is made of Ti, I would probably be interested in it. So, I found these Zulu watch straps with Ti hardware and you guessed it I bought a few. Check PDW, Promethius Design Werks if you are interested. They also make the compass, can you guess what it is made of? They are not inexpensive but, hey, they are made of, you guessed it Titanium.
    I am living the dream in Hawaii.

Awesome watch, and awesome accessories - proper
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by vjb.knife View Post
      Titanium Atomic Number 22, named after the Titans of Greek mythology. I can not explain why I like it so much but if it is made of Ti, I would probably be interested in it. So, I found these Zulu watch straps with Ti hardware and you guessed it I bought a few. Check PDW, Promethius Design Werks if you are interested. They also make the compass, can you guess what it is made of? They are not inexpensive but, hey, they are made of, you guessed it Titanium.
      I'm the same. I feel titanium is the metal to use for divers because of the superior corrosion resistance. Weight savings is another, though lesser reason for me. And to all who say it scratches too easily, that can be buffed or prevented depending on the grade used.

I was looking at the NATOs there too. I tend to go with a simple mil. strap without the extra hardware but NATOs can be made to go much longer than traditional mil straps .

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin M View Post

I'm the same. I feel titanium is the metal to use for divers because of the superior corrosion resistance. Weight savings is another, though lesser reason for me. And to all who say it scratches too easily, that can be buffed or prevented depending on the grade used.
        That's some very nice hardware there Vince, thanks for the heads up.
        I always feel that my titanium watches are more scratch resistant than my ss watches, I only own 2, an 80's Rado and a 90's Seiko Landmaster. I don't know what grade they are, the Rado is heat toughened but they both seem pretty robust to me.
        Last edited by Tim.; 07-07-2019, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Another vote for titanium! I love that it is light and adapts quickly to my skin temperature. All my titanium watches save one had bead blasted finishes. Scuffs and scratches are part of reason for those finishes: they are character marks, kind of like fading with denim. Also thank you for the heads up on the hardware.

Comment

Write me up as another fan of titanium. In addition to my Tudor, I've had other experiences with it. I once rode a titanium framed road bike. Fantastic ride! Fantastic high price! That strap plus Seiko strikes me as an awesome professional rig.

George
            Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

George, I am already with you on the bicycles. One Road Bike and one Mountain Bike; both in Titanium.

I am living the dream in Hawaii.

Comment

I've had a ti bike, a few chromoly, and aluminum. If money is not an object, I prefer titanium. I ride very little these days so only the cheaper chromoly remains.

Comment

I was on good old steel back in the 80's and 90's when I was riding on a regular basis. I recently tried to take it up again after we moved to Aiken with a new hybrid bike that was a cross between road and mountain. Unfortunately, where I live is solid hills. Fell off it twice, the second time with a good bit of damage to my teeth. Figured out my balance wasn't what it was, either. Now I ride a recumbent trike. It's actually harder than a regular bike on hills, but it's just as satisfying when I complete a ride. I'll get a pic of it.

George
                  Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

I had a couple of wrecks in the last ten years. One due to a too close encounter with an inattentive driver. Ditch or a few thousand pounds of steel is an easy decision. There are enough lunatic drivers here who helped make my decision to stop riding regularly for me.

Comment

Well, here's my solution to the problem (see below). From the pictures, you may discern that not only is my driveway sloped, so is the street in the background. In fact, the area where I ride is nothing but up and down. I have a 1.5 mile course marked out and, with those damn hills and my lack of conditioning, that's plenty for me at the moment. More to come as I get past 20 years of sitting on my butt.

The trike is 24 speed, disk brakes, and a recovery job. The guy that originally had it had a tree fall on it. The girl at the bike shop basically rebuilt it and we're still dealing with minor problems. However, I got a good trike for $300 that would go for $1500 new. Ain't complainin'.

Thing I like about it, everyone sees me. Flag helps, but generally drivers see me as funny. I'm happy with that because that also means they slow down and give me room as they pass. Priceless.

recumbent01.jpg

recumbent00.jpg

Comment

It looks different. I like the disc brakes. I've always ridden road bikes. I wish I had disc on them. I like the hybrids with the discs... and "easier" riding style. Your recumbent looks like a recliner. I know from the gym it is not any easier than standard riding position, probably harder. Good for you doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by George W. Olney View Post
                          The trike is 24 speed, disk brakes, and a recovery job. The guy that originally had it had a tree fall on it. The girl at the bike shop basically rebuilt it and we're still dealing with minor problems. However, I got a good trike for $300 that would go for $1500 new. Ain't complainin'.

Thing I like about it, everyone sees me. Flag helps, but generally drivers see me as funny. I'm happy with that because that also means they slow down and give me room as they pass. Priceless.

That's quite a contraption George, I don't think I've seen a longer bike chain, it's interesting the way it runs through those tubes. Looks like a nice neck of the woods you've landed in there.

Comment

I agree with you about the neighborhood, Tim. Kind of place I never thought we could afford until we checked out the market here in Aiken. Very nice small city, by the way. The Charleston market has gotten so inflated we were able to sell our house there and move to one here that's 66% bigger at the same price, has beautiful views, and plenty of touches that make it our dream home. Bills are lower, too. Unfortunately from a cyclist's perspective, the hills come with it.

The recumbent is, in fact, much harder to work uphill. Getting there slowly. Shifting is by knobs on the top of the handles. It even has a (very necessary) parking break. Still getting used to the rig.

George

Comment

Cool Zulu, Vince. I wish I could wear NATOs and Zulus, but just don't like 'em on my wrist. They look cool though and I'm not a diver, so also just don't really need one.

Comment

Working...
                              X