Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does 2019 omega seamaster 300 make the rolex submariner seem not so special? (review)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does 2019 omega seamaster 300 make the rolex submariner seem not so special? (review)

    Who knows, that is for each individual to decide for themselves. I know it is quite common to compare the two watches......
    READ THE REST HERE
    https://ssvs.zenfolio.com/blog/2019/...special-review

    p3429394148-5.jpg


  • #2
    I have had both and they are each nice. They are different styles and may appeal to different people. I might buy another Seamaster but I will always own a Rolex sub or Seadweller.

    I do like the wave design on the dial though.
    Last edited by vjb.knife; 06-05-2019, 03:14 PM. Reason: Added dial comment
    I am living the dream in Hawaii.

    Comment


    • #3
      I would always take a Submariner or Sea Dweller over a Seamaster.
      TKite,
      Hydronaut

      I need a new watch

      Comment


      • #4
        They are very different styled watches. I've had an SMPC for a long time. I am not particularly fond of the SMP case, nor Sub's. The SD is a more substantial feeling watch. I would love one on a strap, just not at the prices they now fetch.
        Last edited by mosswood; 06-04-2019, 07:15 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Actually, I've had an SMP for years, but both ones I have owned, including the one I presently own, have sword hands. I simply don't like the ball and triangle hands. Likewise, I'm not a big fan of the bezel. The Rolex bezel is much better.

          That's not to say I'm a Rolex fanboy, either. I've owned one Sub in the long ago, bought out of the Pacific Exchange Service catalog when I was in-country. Sold it when I got home. Current Rolex divers are hugely overpriced ever since Rolex figured out it could make far more money selling ego watches as opposed to tool watches.

          All of the above, to include far better lume, is why I'm now a confirmed Tudor diver guy.

          Coming back to the original question, my conclusion is that neither watch is better and both have valid competition from much lower priced watches.

          George
          Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by George W. Olney View Post

            Coming back to the original question, my conclusion is that neither watch is better and both have valid competition from much lower priced watches.

            George
            Yup!

            Comment


            • #7
              What really matters in the end, is that you're happy with your choice. Years ago after I sold my 1665 Sea Dweller (dumb move), I was thinking to get an Omega 300M chronograph in titanium (the pushers were screw ins, and it had a manual He release crown). I was watching the price of Rolex steadily increase, and thought I might not get another one. I decided to hold off, because I knew the Omega wasn't going to scratch my itch. I eventually got another Sea Dweller.
              TKite,
              Hydronaut

              I need a new watch

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by George W. Olney View Post
                Actually, I've had an SMP for years, but both ones I have owned, including the one I presently own, have sword hands. I simply don't like the ball and triangle hands. Likewise, I'm not a big fan of the bezel. The Rolex bezel is much better.

                That's not to say I'm a Rolex fanboy, either. I've owned one Sub in the long ago, bought out of the Pacific Exchange Service catalog when I was in-country. Sold it when I got home. Current Rolex divers are hugely overpriced ever since Rolex figured out it could make far more money selling ego watches as opposed to tool watches.

                All of the above, to include far better lume, is why I'm now a confirmed Tudor diver guy.

                Coming back to the original question, my conclusion is that neither watch is better and both have valid competition from much lower priced watches.

                George
                The new improved bezel action is much better and not true at all compared to the Rolex anymore.

                Not sure if you are saying the Lume is better on the Submariner but that is not accurate either if that is what you are saying. Lume is better on the Omega

                https://youtu.be/A9vhi5-dZSQ

                Comment


                • #9
                  By the way, I was just on the Omega website and it looks like they dropped the Ploprof. That's a real shame it was one I liked.
                  TKite,
                  Hydronaut

                  I need a new watch

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Serafin View Post

                    The new improved bezel action is much better and not true at all compared to the Rolex anymore.

                    Not sure if you are saying the Lume is better on the Submariner but that is not accurate either if that is what you are saying. Lume is better on the Omega

                    https://youtu.be/A9vhi5-dZSQ
                    Originally posted by George W. Olney View Post
                    All of the above, to include far better lume, is why I'm now a confirmed Tudor diver guy.
                    It looks to me like George is referring to the lume being better on Tudor dive watches.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Omega nailed it with dial legibility and balance on that diver.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        OK, guys, I was saying the lume on the Tudor is better than the Rolex. Pretty much in the Omega SMP class, but the lume on the SMP with sword hands is far and away better than the ball and triangle version. I will agree the SMP is better balanced and more wearable than a few of the Rolex sport models.

                        I still maintain both Rolex and Omega are overpriced. My Pelagos, for instance, is less than half the price of a Sub with twice the WR, the same accuracy and toughness, but it also includes a lumed bezel. If I looked around, I bet I could find a Seiko that punches in that weight class, not to mention several of the microbrands doing the same thing.

                        As has been frequently said, your choice depends on what you want. You can skew an "objective" evaluation any way you want. Trust me. If anyone knows that, I do.

                        George
                        Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by George W. Olney View Post
                          OK, guys, I was saying the lume on the Tudor is better than the Rolex. Pretty much in the Omega SMP class, but the lume on the SMP with sword hands is far and away better than the ball and triangle version. I will agree the SMP is better balanced and more wearable than a few of the Rolex sport models.

                          I still maintain both Rolex and Omega are overpriced. My Pelagos, for instance, is less than half the price of a Sub with twice the WR, the same accuracy and toughness, but it also includes a lumed bezel. If I looked around, I bet I could find a Seiko that punches in that weight class, not to mention several of the microbrands doing the same thing.

                          As has been frequently said, your choice depends on what you want. You can skew an "objective" evaluation any way you want. Trust me. If anyone knows that, I do.

                          George
                          I would say pretty much all the Rolex line but that is a personal thing and find they are just all long in the tooth. I guess the only Rolex I might keep if given to me is the Sea Dweller. Well, no it still has those ugly hands.

                          I would disagree big time with that opinion on the lume with the new Seamaster skeleton hands.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Serafin View Post

                            I would say pretty much all the Rolex line but that is a personal thing and find they are just all long in the tooth. I guess the only Rolex I might keep if given to me is the Sea Dweller. Well, no it still has those ugly hands.

                            I would disagree big time with that opinion on the lume with the new Seamaster skeleton hands.
                            I don't think you need to defend a position on this, different people have differing opinions. After careful consideration you've chosen to buy this watch, and by the way, congratulations, it's a great looking iconic piece, so enjoy it!
                            The web is full of comparisons between this Omega and the SM, and frankly it's silly. They're both premium dive watches made by premier Swiss watch manufacturers, but really, the comparison ends there. One is all about a long tradition, a name and a standard of quality that is understated, and the other is about a name and looks, it's a bold aesthetic piece of design. For instance, the Rolex has white gold finished hands and markers, and a platinum filled bezel, so they're corrosion resistant, but it's not printed on the dial, the people who buy Rolex expect that standard of finish, and rightly so, they're paying a substantial premium for the privilege. On the other hand, Omega produced a stunning laser etched ceramic dial and likewise it's corrosion resistant but they felt the need to advertise it's chemical composition under the pinion, why? The bezel edge on the Rolex is straight up practical tool watch, easy to grip with wet hands or gloves, whereas the Omega bezel is lovely to look at but it's a triumph of form over substance, likewise the display back and the hev. Don't get me wrong, I think the Omega is a very beautiful, technically superb high quality watch, but it's not aimed at the true Rolex SM buyer and vice versa.
                            Last edited by Tim.; 06-06-2019, 08:05 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This was my favorite Seamaster, I sort of wish I still had it.

                              I am living the dream in Hawaii.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X