Some Bulova love

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Bulova love

This is still my favorite watch of all time. 40 plus years since I first bought one and I never grow tired of it.
    sigpic Let the music be your Master, will you heed the Master's call?

Such a classic - I can see why you never grow tired of it.

Comment

It is a classic.

Comment

My first real diving watch was a Bulova Oceanographer (Yes, the original). Wish I still had it.
        TKite,
        Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by S.L.Dickinson View Post
          This is still my favorite watch of all time. 40 plus years since I first bought one and I never grow tired of it.
          That's sharp!
          You are making me regret selling this one!:

bc_1040.jpg

Comment

That's a nice one. It's so easy to just jump from watch to watch. I have to imagine there would be regret. I know I would be looking for one the day after i sold this one.
            sigpic Let the music be your Master, will you heed the Master's call?

Comment

Excited to see the re-issues coming out. Nope, not the same, larger case size, Miyota mvmt. But...

They sure look nice.

Now that the "new" buzz is dying down, this one's trading for ~$400 brandy new on the 'Bay.

I'm waiting for the green dial, supposed to be released later this year.

The sands of time cannot be stopped. Years pass whether we will them or not... but we can remember. Though that which you remember is imperfect and fragmented, yet treasure it... for without you it does not exist.

Comment

They did the orange in the original size, or d*mn close, and I think with a 2824 movement. The Red/blue is larger with the Miyota. I would love a green one, because, well because I have never had a green watch.

Comment

All these retro watches, and you would think they could at least keep them as close to original as possible. I mean, with maybe just a slight upgrade or two, but visually the same. The regular Oceanographer has "Bulova" with some cheap one piece thing on the dial, and it's larger and has a Japanese movement. Personally, if they had just left it the same as the original, but added a screw down crown, I think more would have been happier with it. The orange one was LE with a Swiss movement and somewhat closer to the original of that type.
                  TKite,
                  Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

The orange Bulova is very close to the original. That "one piece" look was common to 60's watches. Looked cheap then, looks "retro" now. Given the price we pay for retro I think "cheap" might not be the correct modifier: perhaps tacky.

Comment

Excited to see the re-issues coming out. Nope, not the same, larger case size, Miyota mvmt. But...

They sure look nice.

Now that the "new" buzz is dying down, the black dial is trading for ~$400 brandy new on the 'Bay.

I'm waiting for the green dial, supposed to be released later this year.

The sands of time cannot be stopped. Years pass whether we will them or not... but we can remember. Though that which you remember is imperfect and fragmented, yet treasure it... for without you it does not exist.

Comment

Originally posted by mosswood View Post
                        The orange Bulova is very close to the original. That "one piece" look was common to 60's watches. Looked cheap then, looks "retro" now. Given the price we pay for retro I think "cheap" might not be the correct modifier: perhaps tacky.
                        Yeah, but the original was all separate letters. I still like the re-issue though.

Here's a picture of an original from the early 70s.

OceanographerOriginal.jpg
                        Last edited by TKite; 06-03-2019, 03:17 PM.
                        TKite,
                        Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

I have a couple originals. The connected letters thing was used in some 60's watches but not one the Snorkel... at least so far as I know. Why Bulova did something on the "re-issue" they did not do on the original I do not know.

Comment

I dunno either, but I loved that watch. I ended up giving it away as a gift to a friend, but I still miss it.
                            TKite,
                            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Working...
                            X