Omega ‘Ultra Deep’

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega ‘Ultra Deep’

Well it’s true, Omega had several special watches made. I saw my friend from the expedition today and he showed me pictures of it and told me everything.

The watches were made from extra titanium that was left over from making the sphere for the diving sub. Omega strapped two to the outside of the sub, and one went on the lander that had gotten stuck in the mud. As can be expected, they’re very thick, large dive watches which were tested previous to the dives at 1,500 atmospheres.

The watch is called the ‘Ultra Deep’ (in blue lettering on the dial) and looks to be based on the planet ocean, but also seems to have a vintage ‘Omega Grande’ look to it. On the case back is the depth 49,*** ft. In actuality though, 1500 ATM is 50K (the Rolex Deep Sea Challenge was also tested to 1500 ATM).
    Last edited by TKite; 05-26-2019, 09:22 PM.
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Oh man, I can't wait to see pics of the watches. I'm sure like Rolex's offering, they won't be wearable for anyone with less than a 10 inch wrist though.

Comment

It's a serious looking piece of titanium. I like the looks of the Rolex Deep Sea Challenge better, but it's still very cool looking. I have two pictures of it - one next to a regular Omega. I am not allowed to share them though - that was the requirement for having them. You'll see it in time anyway though.
      TKite,
      Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

oh no worries, I'm a pretty patient guy. And even if they came out with something noting their success, I have no intention of wearing a diver that can go that deep

Makes me wonder what they will do when they run out of deep spots on Earth? Will they launch to Europa to get a watch down in the sea there?

Comment

Actually, that's it. Rolex had the chance, and blew it - could have used the same watch to do it too. The Five Deeps guys went down the 'East pool' of the trench, which is just a few meters deeper than the center pool where Cameron went. So the record was broken by mere meters. Rolex screwed up on the depth put on their watch as well in my opinon - they put the depth that Cameron was taking his submersible, not the depth that Rolex tested it to. So the watch depth rating on the dial is listed at less than tested depth of 50K feet. The Omega on the other hand, is engraved with 49,*** feet on the caseback of the watch - leaving room for argument by those who don't know both watches were tested to a depth of 1,500 atmospheres before their dives.

Actually instead of using an 'online converter' from ATM to FT, I just did the calculation on a calculator and it turns out that 1,500 atmospheres is 49,200 feet.
          Last edited by TKite; 05-27-2019, 06:50 PM.
          TKite,
          Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

PS - Our esteemed member, Vince, brought this to our attention first. I'm just following up on what I learned from a friend on the expedition. Wish I had been asked along
            TKite,
            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Hey, watch it with that esteemed stuff.
              I am living the dream in Hawaii.

Comment

Working...
              X