Who is the deep watch King

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the deep watch King

The brand of watch to have gone the deepest in the ocean has changed. Omega constructed a special watch that went to a deeper spot in the Challenger Deep than the Rolex Deepsea Special.
    I am living the dream in Hawaii.

It's May, not April 1....... LOL

Let's see it, and let's hear about the expedition. Is it part of the 5 deeps expedition?

PS - even if Omega did send a watch slightly deeper on a new expedition, there is still only ONE King - Rolex
    Last edited by TKite; 05-12-2019, 03:25 PM.
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post
      It's May, not April 1....... LOL

Let's see it, and let's hear about the expedition. Is it part of the 5 deeps expedition?

PS - even if Omega did send a watch slightly deeper on a new expedition, there is still only ONE King - Rolex
      It is part of the Five Deeps Expedition, I know a guy on it. And I agree, Rolex is still King. But you can bet that there is some tight assed Swiss Guy at Rolex that is really pissed off. Look for the Discovery channel special later this year.

Comment

I know a guy on that expedition too - he lives in my village here. I tried to look up something online, but not finding anything. You know Rolex is already planning a come back on this LOL

PS - the guy I know wears an Omega.
        TKite,
        Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

My Swiss Military goes down to 20,000 feet. I think it set a record when it did.
          James Camerons Rolex deep-diver was (to my knowledge) never put into production.

I'd post pictures but Photobucket seems to be down.

Kurt
          "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Yeah the "Deep Sea Special", and "Deep Sea Challenger" were special watches for the purpose. I believe there were only 4 of each made. If they put the Deep Sea Challenger into production, it's so radical I am sure some would buy it - I would if I were wealthy.
            TKite,
            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Yep, even at its huge size, I'm sure lots of people would buy it. Especially, if
              it were extremely limited.

Comment

Yeah when you have a huge customer base, and add in a special item with very limited quantities, it becomes a frenzy.

Rolex Deep Sea Challenger.jpg
                TKite,
                Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

If I remember correctly, Rolex pressure tested the Deep Sea Challenger watch to 1,500 atmospheres (50,849.29 ft) before they sent it off with the Cameron crew to be put on the submersible. So even if Omega went to a spot deeper, Rolex only has to send a submersible pilot down there with their same watch to say they can do it too

PS- The regular Deep Sea Sea Dweller watches people like you and I can buy are tested to just over 16,000 ft.
                  Last edited by TKite; 05-13-2019, 12:00 PM.
                  TKite,
                  Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Omega made 200 special edition planet Ocean watches and the crew was given about 30 of them. They are standard Titanium models on a leather strap and will have special casebacks. The submersible in the Five Deeps expedition is the only submersible with certification for extensive, repeated dives to any depth in the oceans. The Deepsea challenge sub had technical problems with manuevering and depth indication. Rolex was offered the spot on the Five deeps boat but declined, because the "had already done that". Omega took the offer and in a very short period constructed a small handful of watches to go on the expedition.

Comment

Yeah I know all about the sub. I'm wondering about what Omega put on the outside of the sub to go to depth.
                      TKite,
                      Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

The owner of the Sub, Victor Vescovo (billionaire):
                        Attached Files
                        TKite,
                        Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

That's a billion dollar smile for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post
                            Yeah I know all about the sub. I'm wondering about what Omega put on the outside of the sub to go to depth.
                            The guy I know on the expedition does not know much about watches, so he could not tell me much. He told me that Omega constructed a small handful of watches to go on the expedition in a very short period of time. So I do not know what they looked like but I believe he said that three watches were attached to the manipulator arm during the dive to the Challenger Deep.

Comment

Well, we will all eventually know. Since some are getting around 3 weeks off until needed again, I bet my friend will be back in town soon for some R&R. Maybe I'll hear from him (he worked on Titanic as well) and I can wheedle the info out of him on it
                              TKite,
                              Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Working...
                              X