Question for those who've sought a "grail watch."

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for those who've sought a "grail watch."

You know, the watch you've wanted forever. the one that was the epitome of watch collecting, or maybe the one you thought could make you a One Watch Guy... Ever pursue one and then suddenly, one day wake up and think, "meh?" It's happened a few times for me and always made me reconsider chasing it, in my case another Rolex GMT. I still want one but I don't find myself looking at pics etc like I used to :/ Ever happened to you?

Only 20 or 30 times.

Comment

A couple of times, but I look at differently. I've had to pass on getting a grail I wanted, or sold one I had, for economic or other reasons. But one thing I've learned over the years is that if you keep it in your sights and just calmly wait, sooner or later it'll come to you.

George
      Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

I always tried telling myself in between Rolex watches that "well it's close enough" (to a Rolex). That just doesn't wash Kevin, you have to get the Rolex. My favorite Rolex was my 1665 Sea Dweller. Little did I know what a stupid mistake I was making selling it - it was completely original. I loved the looks of that particular model, the domed crystal and the size was really nice. The backs on those were 'bubble backs' also, not flattened like they are now. If I could go back and not sell that 1665, I would - not because of the current monetary value, but just because that would definitely be an everyday go-to for wrist time.

PS - you know I used to put that in a clothing locker at a GYM I went to while I worked out? I must have been half crazy at the time - a high school style locker... I was lucky nobody ever saw me put that Rolex in there.
        Last edited by TKite; 04-06-2019, 10:10 PM.
        TKite,
        Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

I had a friend who always wanted a particular Corvette. He got it. All of us thought, cool xxxx has that 'Vette. One day he said to me, "The first month or two I had it, I would go to my garage and just look at it. And then I realized one day, suddenly it meant nothing. It will not decrease in value, but in a year I am going to sell it." I have another friend who got his grail (a car) in his 20's, and has it still, in his late 50's. He has been offered A LOT of money for it. It still means something to him. Each of us is different. Life is the figuring out process that ends, or transitions when you stop breathing. Not trying to be philosophical here, just saying what my experience has been. As for grails, I haven't had as many as Chris, but more than I would like to admit to. I still own some. For the right offer they would go away, though at this point none are for sale. I own some watches I did not obtain as grails (two came from my Dad, the other was a gift), they are the watches I treasure most. I expect some day to gift them. But as I said earlier, there is still some figuring to do. Best to you in wherever you are in the process, Kevin.

Comment

George, you touched on another factor, I did own that Pepsi and had to sell it. Strange, at the time it didn't get worn. I couldn't see myself with it on my wrist. Now it still remains as the ONE watch I feel I should have. I'm sure it'll happen again and I have plans to make it happen, and hopefully sooner than later. And by soon, I mean after getting the next car for my niece

Funny though I still have eyes for other watches. I guess it's kinda like being married, just because you found the one doesn't mean you're dead LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin M View Post

Funny though I still have eyes for other watches. I guess it's kinda like being married, just because you found the one doesn't mean you're dead LOL!
              I always said.... There's one watch that's the main watch, the rest are like the harem LOL
              TKite,
              Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Had quite a few grails over the years. Still have a couple - my Sea-Dweller, Zodiac SSW 1000m, Oris Great Barrier Reef 1000m, Jacques Etoile Atlantis, and my first "nice" watch - Angular Momentum Illum/II diver. I've sold a bunch too, but the main watch was the Sea-Dweller - the rest are the harem. The one grail I have not attained is the Vintage PloProf 600m. One day!

Comment

I got to put on Bill Bartlett's modern PloProf and I actually liked it better than the original. Of course, the original carries the cachet of being the original, and the only way to get the original refurbished RIGHT, is to send it back to Bienne Switzerland.
                  TKite,
                  Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Hi Kevin:

ALL OF THEM!

16 years ago I bought my longtime grail, a Patek 5020. As much as
                    I loved it, I then got hooked on Campanola's and it sat in the safe. The
                    great news (for me) is, I sold it 4 years later for 3X what I paid for it.

A year later, I bought a Lange Doublesplit and Vacheron Toledo in
                    (white gold.) The Doublesplit (like many Lange's) wore terribly on the wrist
                    and sat like a hockey puck.

I wore the VC Toledo at my daughter's wedding, but sold it a short time later.
                    It's the only one I wish I had back.

Anyway—--to me--—the term grail is an oxymoron. It doesn't exist IMO.

Kurt

Note: Along the way to the 'Grails,' I had a 3970, Datograph, Jubilee, AP
                    Huitieme Perpetual Moonphase Chronograph and a Royal Oak 'Offshore'
                    Moon Phase Perpetual Chronograph—--ALL GONE!
                    "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

WHOA!! I had to Google what a VC Toledo looked like and man that is one smooth watch!

Comment

That would have to be the Rolex Submariner no date. Must have been 8 years ago I wanted one so badly and then just one day I realized the entire watch annoys me and my tastes had changed. It was to small now! The Markers on the bezel that only go to the 15 drive me insane on watches. Mercedes hands just don't do it for me anymore. I don't want tapering bracelets. The steel they use just scratches up much more easier that regular stainless. And at one time my wife would have done anything to get me to shut the hell up about that watch. But we went in one more time to try it on before the days of this madness when you could actually buy one when you want one and I realized my style and tastes just changed when I hit 40. Glad I don't fork out that kind of cash for watches and just keep it 2 or 3 thousand max.

Comment

Thanks, I've been looking to replace it.
                          "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Personally, I could see wearing a Submariner as a daily beater.
                            TKite,
                            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Working...
                            X