No announcement yet.

What the h3ck is this? Fake? Prototype?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the h3ck is this? Fake? Prototype?

Bizarre. I cannot imagine putting the Khaki label on something so un-military/tool-like, but stranger things have happened.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hamilton-Kh...Gtm:rk:27f:0

s-l1600.jpg
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 03-05-2019, 10:44 AM.

I'll see yours and raise you 2. Hamilton Khaki Action Code Breaker Auto Men's Automatic Watch H79515333

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 12.08.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 12.13.50 PM.png

Here's a link to the Amazon page I found them on.
    Last edited by Tim.; 03-02-2019, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
      I'll see yours and raise you 2. Hamilton Khaki Action Code Breaker Auto Men's Automatic Watch H79515333
      Fascinating. Now, those look plausible...the gold one on white straps didn't when I first saw it.

Note that the one I linked has a reference/serial number of HXXXXXXXX. and a date of 2008 on the back

s-l1600.jpg
      This is why I wondered if it could actually be a prototype (if the design was truly a Hamilton). Also, see that it has a generic movement, not a rotor with the Hamilton branding as shown below.
      The production one also has a proper number:

12.jpg
      Last edited by Watch Carefully; 03-05-2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

I have not seen one with the gold (bronze?) coating and white strap. I have seen one similar to what Tim posted. So it is real. I was curious enough to ask the wearer. It had a very wide strap. I thought it ungainly, too different that what I like. But what the h*ll do I know I have some 1970's Enicar's.

Comment

So, I approached the seller, who got back in touch with his supplier and it was confirmed to be a prototype--presumably for Basel 2008 or for product reviews (I have some experience of this). The seller seems to be a real stand-up guy (I assume) and I've struck a deal to buy the watch. Once it arrives, I will post some photos, impressions and any info I can obtain.
          It's not at all the sort of thing I expect to wear, but prototypes and one-offs appeal to me in principle, so I'll give this a flier...
          Last edited by Watch Carefully; 03-20-2019, 08:48 AM.

Comment

So, the seller's photograph obscured a vital part of the puzzle...

This was indeed the prototype assembled for Baselworld 2008:

It's really rather neat and quite well constructed, though definitely not a style toward which I normally gravitate.
            Despite the enormous dimensions of the thing, the Titanium and rubber combination is astoundingly light and well balanced.
            The dial is multi-layered and quite detailed. I'll try to get some decent photos of it.

I think I'll keep it a while, though. I bet there's a collector of prototypes and oddities somewhere who will buy it from me someday.

Comment

Light and well balanced are good things..., um, that's all for now!

Comment

Originally posted by mosswood View Post
                ..., um, that's all for now!
                Ha ha....I get it. I may hang on to it and see if I grow fond of it.
                But, of course, everything has its price.

Comment

I have grown fond of watches that I took in trade to balance a trade. For instance the Muhle Glashutte Nautic Timer: had one included in a trade, wore it liked it, traded it, and then realized I liked it so much I got another. Hope it grows on you or you get a good return.

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                    [FONT=georgia][SIZE=14px]
                    This was indeed the prototype assembled for Baselworld 2008:
                    Some additional images of Hamilton's Basel prototypes using the HXXXXXX reference placeholder, for reference:

Hamilton-Khaki-Navy-watch-proto2012.jpg
                    Hamilton-Khaki-Navy-watch-proto2012b.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X