For you space fans...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For you space fans...

The Explorers Club Annual Dinner in March will be focused on the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing.

In attendance will be:

Buzz Aldrin, Apollo 11
    Walt Cunningham, Apollo 7
    Charlie Duke, Apollo 16
    Fred Haise, Apollo 13
    Jim Lovell, Apollo 8, 13
    Jack Schmidt, Apollo 17
    Rusty Schweickart, Apollo 9
    Al Worden, Apollo 15

I'll see how many cool photos I can get but of course Buzz is #1 on my list!!!!

Chris

It sounds like a lot of fun.

Kim and Sally Poor in Tuscon do a several day run with astronauts called Spacefest that we used to attend. Kim sadly has passed away. One Sunday morning there we were early and got to visit at length with many of the astronauts. Buzz unfortunately was not talkative that time - just scribbled his signature and move on please. But Charlie Duke and Rusty Swiekert were a delight, as were the now passed Edgar Mitchell, Gene Cernan, Alan Bean, and several others. The one who surprised me the most was Edgar Mitchell, whose published works are, shall we say, a little out there. We spent 20 minutes or more with him and he was fascinating, As I said, Sunday morning was nearly dead that day so we had the trip of a lifetime.

Dave

Comment

Wow that sounds pretty dang cool. Wish I could go. Have a great time Chris!
      TKite,
      Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

I'd love to be there, Chris... and Doc, I'd love to have been there. All of that happened in my youth (High school and college).

I was visiting my soon to be wife at Florida Southern (just SW of Orlando) and actually saw one of the Apollo shots go up. Just FYI, Cape Canaveral was about 400 miles NE of where I was standing. BIG. I was at ROTC Summer Camp at Ft Bragg, NC when we made the first landing. They gave us all 48 hour passes and a buddy and I rented a motel room in Fayetteville and watched everything on TV. Great days.

George
        Last edited by George W. Olney; 02-01-2019, 01:20 PM.
        Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Chris, I am excited for you. Like George, I lived through all that. I got to see a number of shuttle launches. To this day those laucnhes are easily the most impressive man made thing I have ever seen. I've followed Lovell and Aldrin since they were chosen as part of the second astronaut group. Those two guys in particular were both engineers and aviators. I am certain others were as well, I am just more familiar with Lovell and Aldrin.

Comment

It's going to be a HUM DINGER of a meet up for sure. You can email to see about getting a table if you're in the NYC area.

https://explorersclub.org/events/det..._annual_dinner

ExplorersClub.jpg
            TKite,
            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

That'll be one for the books, Chris. Looking forward to your report.
              Last edited by JP(Canada); 02-05-2019, 09:33 AM.
              JP

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Dumbest thing NASA ever did was to stop using the Saturn 5 Rocket and not keep improving it over the years. My dad always mentions he was their when they were first tested the Saturn 5 engines in Texas how incredible of a experience it was.

Comment

Definitely let us all know how it goes.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X