Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wind or Grind? Bauhaus design, Far East pricing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wind or Grind? Bauhaus design, Far East pricing...

    s-l500.jpgs-l500.jpg

    I realize this one has some peculiarities...not the least of which is a German name & Bauhaus design, housing a Chinese-made movement originally of Swiss design (Venus 175).

    But despite all this incongruity, and the presence of a bit more text than is necessary, I really dig this. I know that a Max Bill chrono would cost much, much more and come with a famous Swiss movement, but I also know that the Tianjin ST-19 movement in a ca. 2006 Seagull chronograph I own has performed flawlessly and accurately since new. I once showed it to Roland Murphy and he expressed some interest in improvements made to the original movement.

    For a few hundred bucks, I think this may be a real bargain (in black or parchment dial). I've seen them only on eBay.

    s-l500.jpg
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

  • #2
    Wind for me, although it would be better for me if it were 44mm. I've owned the Chinese Air-Force 1963 chronographs in 38mm and 42mm and sold them - the 38mm is too small and the 42mm version didn't have a domed crystal, which I didn't like. I also recently bought and sold a Junkers Bauhaus chronograph that was 40mm. Just a tad too small to bond with it.

    I love the look and agree there's too much text, but it seems to be a good price for what you'd get.

    Comment


    • #3
      Unnecessary text: yeah, I can tell it is a chronograph! That aside a wind, trusting what you say of the movement.
      Incidentally is Gustav Becker Boris's brother with the weak backhand?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mosswood View Post
        Unnecessary text: yeah, I can tell it is a chronograph! That aside a wind, trusting what you say of the movement.
        Incidentally is Gustav Becker Boris's brother with the weak backhand?
        LOL - good one, Jon. I actually hate when they write chronograph on a dial - like no one would know otherwise.

        Comment


        • #5
          They left it off the moon-phase model.

          s-l1600.jpg

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tim. View Post
            They left it off the moon-phase model.

            s-l1600.jpg
            I wouldn't go near the moon models of the Seagull movement. If I am correct, it's not a proper 29.5-day moon cycle, and that pointer date must be nigh on impossible to read without a loupe!
            Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post

              I wouldn't go near the moon models of the Seagull movement. If I am correct, it's not a proper 29.5-day moon cycle, and that pointer date must be nigh on impossible to read without a loupe!
              True, I would most definitely need a loupe and I bow to your knowledge on the movement Brad, I know nothing about them, just saw it there when looking up the other one and noted they'd left the "Chronograph" off.

              Comment


              • #8
                Like Sparky used to say....MEH
                "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

                Comment

                Working...
                X