Dont pay the ransome! I've escaped!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont pay the ransome! I've escaped!

Someone possibly may have noticed my absence from this forum for the last few weeks. Well, there was a reason. Among other things, two weeks or so without the ability to post on any forum, much less this one.

The reason is that, for the last month or so in hell, Debbie and I have been moving from Charleston to Aiken, SC. Aiken, for the noncognoscenti, is a small city in the middle-west of the state about twenty miles east of Augusta and just south of I20. It's famous for horses and golf, neither of which I can abide. However, the real estate prices are about half what they are in Charleston, the climate is more dry and moderate, traffic is something approaching decent, and the restaurants are excellent. All that, plus the fact that Deb and I have been coming up here for years for getaways.

Anyhow, we finally decided to move here for no damn good reasons except the fact we wanted to do it. Happy with the decision. The process sucked and there are still about fifty or so unopened boxes to unpack and find places for the junk they hold. We'll be digging out for a month or more. Just got our internet today.

More to come.

George
    Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Congrats, George! That's a great reason to do it - sounds like a good move to me. Welcome back!

Comment

I know Aiken, George. Back in the heyday of Catalog Showrooms—: Service March, Brendles, Alexanders
      Ellmans etc—, I used to find myself in the Aiken area three or four times a year. I was one of the largest
      suppliers of Home furnishings to that class of trade.

I enjoyed all the times I spent there. Great people.

Best of luck with the new digs.

Kurt
      "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

You might be a bit surprised, Kurt. It's changed a lot in the last ten years, but nowhere as much as Charleston. In reality, that's one big reason we left. My family has been in Charleston since 1826 and Debbie was born and raised there, but it really wasn't our Charleston any more.

George
        Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Congrats on the move George, I hope you and Deb have many years of good health and happiness in your new digs. Hopefully a few less hurricanes and floods too.

Comment

Thank you, guys and AMEN, Tim.

Comment

Congrats and blessings to you both on the move.

I would suggest you change your tune on golf. It is a form of torture, that had the monks devised rather than hair shirts and self flagellation would have occasioned the reformation centuries earlier. It builds character!

As you mentioned here is much to like about Aiken, beyond some remove from hurricanes. We weathered Hugo in Augusta, far better than our friends in Charleston. You are now convenient to the mountains in NC, the SC coast you well know and Atlanta. Well, the last is probably not a bonus.
              Last edited by mosswood; 11-06-2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Yep, I totally understand, and I think it's happening to many of our homesteads.
                I bought a place in Wyoming years ago but I can't get Kathy to move (brother,
                grandchildren etc).

I offered to fly her home once a month but to no avail.

Sounds like a really good move for you and your wife.

Kurt

Comment

George, If you have everything fixed up a month after a move, my hat is off to you. We moved 7 months ago, and I'll guess we still have 6 more months of unpacking to do. Of course, we were 33 years at the old house and you do tend to accumulate a bit in over 3 decades. But we now have my study and the laundry room on the main floor, which means we go downstairs only about once a week.

Dave

Comment

Congrats on the move George! Glad you are finally settling in...I hate moving also so I feel your pain.
                    Dan

"I don't know what's worse...a watch with no hands, or a hand with no watch"

Comment

We moved 4 months ago after Living in the house for 53 years. Slowly but surely nearly everything is in its place. The dog got used to the new appartment much faster.
                      Cheers
                      Peter

Comment

23 years in the Charleston house. Two teenage boys grew into young men in it. When we cleaned it out prior to moving, we filled three construction dumpsters. Now we're trying to thin out our remaining junk.

George

Comment

We're 41 years (1977) in our house, and my wife keeps telling me... "I'm going out feet first."

The down side is that next week we're having our roof replaced and front porch rebuilt. I got
                          33 years (1985) out of the old roof, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

I do wish I had the home maintenance money to spend on watches though...

:-)

Comment

Working...
                          X