Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage Citizen 800m Ti - got it running again!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Citizen 800m Ti - got it running again!

I was able to get this 800m Ti vintage quartz diver working again - it had stopped running - battery change hadn't worked - sent to Citizen to repair - they said they don't have parts. I was researching possible replacement movements and potential donor movements, but I thought - let me try one more battery. I opened the case, put in a new 371 battery and it didn't work.

I remembered I had some WD40 electrical contact cleaner spray, so I tried spraying the movement with it - after it dried - voila! It started ticking again. I am just really happy to have one of my favorite dive watches running again.

So, lesson here is - if you have a quartz movement that appears to have stopped working - shoot it with some electrical contact cleaner and it just might start again.

Here's some pics on the new thick beadblasted bracelet I had bought for it right before it stopped.

Excellent!
    "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Mikey well done so very pleased for You My Friend and I love that Citizen especially the caseback simply stunning.

Comment

Great save Mike, well done. The links on the bracelet reflect the notches on the bezel, great fit.

Comment

Thanks, guys - I am psyched to be able to wear it again. My goal is to, eventually have all three of this series - the 1300m Ti is the one I need and the rarest. I've been looking for one for years and they are either crazily priced, or not available. I have the 300m Ti too. They made the 300m, 800m, and 1300m. The prices on the 800m are ridiculous on ebay. Not sure anyone is paying that much, but cheapest one was $1,100.

Comment

Cool that you got it going again. I have always loved that series of watches Citizen watches. They should re-issue those classic (800m, 1300m, and a can't remember the depth on the third.)

Comment

Thanks - yes, that would be a cool re-issue. The third is 300m. Here's mine:

Comment

WD40 truly fixes everything.

Comment

Good advice. I usually start with a simple cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol and rub the contact points. If that doesn't work, I'll use a very fine abrasive to clean them.
                  I find that this is frequently sufficient to jump-start a quartz watch that hasn't sat too long.
                  Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Serafin View Post
                    WD40 truly fixes everything.
                    it is some good stuff!

Comment

WD40, duct tape, and a redneck... all you need to build and or fix anything from an interstellar transport to a toaster oven.
                      Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Comment

Good looking diver!

Comment

Originally posted by George W. Olney View Post
                            WD40, duct tape, and a redneck... all you need to build and or fix anything from an interstellar transport to a toaster oven.
                            So true.

Comment

Thanks guys - still running strong now - someone also suggested if you have any mass airflow cleaner - typically used on cars - it would probably work better than electrical contact cleaner. I have some MAF cleaner - will try that if I ever need to.

Comment

Working...
                              X