Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, seeking input... SD circa 2000 or Tudor Pelagos (blue)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, seeking input... SD circa 2000 or Tudor Pelagos (blue)

I know someone will chime in with "BOTH!!" and I'm inclined to agree. Very similar in style but also very different too. I like the 40mm/20mm ratio of the SD, less thrilled with lugs that extend beyond half the width of a watch case but I do make exceptions. I love Ti and SS. And yes, I'm inclined to get both, however I still have my eye on a Pepsi GMT, but those things are popular now and the prices are in the stoooopid range right now, and I think that'll change after the next Basel when the focus will be on some other line.

Any thoughts?

For me the Sea Dweller is a no-brainer here. In house movement, solid, with a ton of heritage.
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

I'm with you there! There is literally nothing about that era SD I don't like. Hmmm, maybe get a good deal on the SD and pick up the Pelagos later, I'm a sucker for the ocean blue dial/bezel.

EDIT: Oh! and who knows maybe they'll make a GMT Pelagos version before too long too

Comment

It goes without saying that I like the Pelagos. Of course, Kevin, you're comparing a $4000 watch (the Tudor) with a $9000 watch (the SD). To me, there's no appreciable difference in quality despite the price difference, if that's a question.

Let me solve the problem for you. Wait 6 months or a year. At Basel, Tudor showed a Pepsi GMT Black Bay, still in the four grand range. Since I happen to love the Black Bay also, that's going to be my next lust object when it shows up here.

https://www.tudorwatch.com/watches/n.../m79830rb-0001

George

Tudor GMT.jpg
        Last edited by George W. Olney; 08-11-2018, 07:17 PM.
        Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Thanks, George! I feel the same way, everything I've read points the two watches are more peers than their prices would suggest. I can get the SD from a place like Crown and Caliber for a touch over 7k which is nice. I'm thinking right now to get the SD, and then next year go for the Pelagos. Hoping the Pelagos goes for the GMT treatment like the Seamaster did, while keeping the dive bezel.

Ultimate for me is the Pepsi GMT, the Tudor has definetly caught my eye, but I have missed the Rolex GMT ever since I sold the first one.

One more week of school then I am sellingthis massive pile of watches and parts I have and trimming down to a handful of watches.

Comment

That Tudor GMT looks pretty cool George. One thing that never changes here, is that one cannot ever tire of seeing fantastic watches
            TKite,
            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Hey don't forget those Citizen Eco-zilla adapters you were sending me!

Originally posted by Kevin M View Post

One more week of school then I am sellingthis massive pile of watches and parts I have and trimming down to a handful of watches.

EcoZillaWaltsAdapters.jpg
              TKite,
              Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post
                Hey don't forget those Citizen Eco-zilla adapters you were sending me!

EcoZillaWaltsAdapters.jpg
                I have not forgotten. School has kicked my butt, and in one more week I'll be able to do simple things like get to the post office which is only 4 miles away. Honestly if I had to do another semester like this I think it might kill me! :O

I have other packages and watches to get out too. Looking forward to getting done with boards and resting for a bit, the rest will be done on a part-time basis That and selling the horde of a "collection."
                Last edited by Kevin M; 08-11-2018, 08:33 PM.

Comment

The Pelagos has an in-house movement as well. The other differences are stylistic, what you like you should get. I have seen the new Tudor GMT, and was disappointed. I like the rest of the Tudor line. I can understand the attraction of the Rolex GMT line. It is my favorite of their offerings.

Comment

If I didn't already have either, I'd get the SD first - it's an iconic, perfectly sized (even though I like 42mm+ divers) and proven. It should be about $7K now. The Pelagos, I love and want one someday, but I would not trade my SeaDweller for one. Of course, if getting both is feasible, I'd defo go that route.

Comment

Thanks guys!! Listening to the thoughts here helped me to come to the conclusion that both watches are on the list. Since the Tudor is current production, and doubtfully will suddenly cease in the next year, I plan to go with the SD first. Besides, who knows how long they will stay around 7K? Better to go that route first then go for the SD. My thinking is by then, the Pepsi should be more attainable since I feel most people are going with the vintage models because the "new and shiny" ceramic version is virtually unobtainable at the moment. That'll change in a few years as more hit the secondary market

Comment

I love the Pelgos and Tudors are great, but a five digit SD would be tough to say no to for me. I'd be leaning that way. Just find one that's complete, with a tight bracelet, and not over-polished, would be my advice.
                        JP

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

I think right now, just from my informal searching at a few online stores that sell used Rolexes is that the SD (non-ceramic) seems to be fairly plentiful, while GMTs are on the other end of that spectrum. All good points, I'll definitely keep it in mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin M View Post
                            I think right now, just from my informal searching at a few online stores that sell used Rolexes is that the SD (non-ceramic) seems to be fairly plentiful, while GMTs are on the other end of that spectrum. All good points, I'll definitely keep it in mind!
                            You can't go wrong with the SD, but if you really want the GMT, nothing else with quench that thirst. You just need to be patient and wait for the right deal when you're ready to pull the trigger. They're out there They sold tons of these.
                            JP

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Very true, I should probably just stick with the original plan and get the ~2000 GMT. Problem is I also love these other two watches. At this point I have been in the watch game for so long, I don't think I could become a one watch kinda guy, even if it is a grail watch. Now, a 4 to 5 watch guy is definitely doable

Comment

Working...
                              X