Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any other Aquastar Benthos I owners out there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other Aquastar Benthos I owners out there?

I was just wonder where to have this baby serviced ? Cheers -Ronbo standard.jpg
    It takes a village ... to raise an idiot.

An old forum member here - Bill, used to have two Aquastars, but I think he sold them. Finding someone to refurbish these right is probably going to be difficult, as I know Bill complained even 5 years ago or so it was no small feat.
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post
      An old forum member here - Bill, used to have two Aquastars, but I think he sold them. Finding someone to refurbish these right is probably going to be difficult, as I know Bill complained even 5 years ago or so it was no small feat.
      Thanks T. I think I might ask RGM.

Comment

That would be a good idea in my opinion, as they are watch makers, not just 'service'. When I talked to Bill Bartlett in NYC at a watch GTG, he had both the 1000 and 500 models, and said they were both very difficult to get any parts for etc. and I believe he sold them both because of this.

Originally posted by ronbo View Post

Thanks T. I think I might ask RGM.
        TKite,
        Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

I did a little research after reading this post and it's possible the problems arise from A.Schild going out of business in 1983 and indeed I think they had been merged with ETA since 1979. I believe the movement in this watch is an AS 2162 and although hard to find, some parts should still be available. I have some watches with AS movements from the '60's and my watchmaker seems to be able to keep them running ok, however I'm in Australia, so he's not going to be of much use to you. As regards having these watches repaired or re-furbished in the US, I did see International Watch Works in North Carolina favorably mentioned, but I'm sure, having seen their work, that RGM would also do an excellent job.
          Last edited by Tim.; 07-12-2018, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I bought one off Vic Boyd many years ago but....that was in my fickle days so it only lasted a few months. Really cool watch but I found like many from that era it was a touch on the small side for me. I would also suggest RGM. I have heard a few less than stellar stories about IWW lately particularly with long turnaround times.
            Keith

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

sigpic

Comment

Speaking of Bill Bartlett, is he still around? I understand his health was quite bad several years ago.
              Keith

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

sigpic

Comment

Bill did have a medical condition which also affected some of his memory. The last time I saw him, he was holding his own but he had forgotten some of the things we had discussed in the past. I haven't seen him in maybe 3 years or so because I just don't go to NYC these days as I live in another state now.

Originally posted by cdnwatchguy View Post
                Speaking of Bill Bartlett, is he still around? I understand his health was quite bad several years ago.
                TKite,
                Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Thanks All. These seem to be getting up there in value and I just want her purring smartly. It is definitely a keeper. I talked with an Aquastar rep years ago and asked him why they quit maling the 1000m. He said it was too cost prohibitive lol. Cheers

Comment

It's a cool looking watch. I want to know what the button is for though......

Originally posted by ronbo View Post
                    Thanks All. These seem to be getting up there in value and I just want her purring smartly. It is definitely a keeper. I talked with an Aquastar rep years ago and asked him why they quit maling the 1000m. He said it was too cost prohibitive lol. Cheers
                    TKite,
                    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

It's a cool looking watch. I want to know what the button is for though......

To operate the 60 minute flyback dive timer.

Comment

??? With a Dive Bezel, you would not need something like that.
                        TKite,
                        Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Bill is suffering from advanced dementia and really isn't participating on any forums. His daughter takes care of him. It's really sad as Bill is a great guy.

Comment

??? With a Dive Bezel, you would not need something like that.
                            I agree, but they decided to give it one anyway.

Aquastar Benthos I Professional 1000 meter

Case Diameter: 42 mm
                            Case Height: 15.5 mm
                            Case length: 43 mm
                            Lug Width: 20.5 mm
                            Movement: Modified A.Schild AS2162 with 60 min flyback dive
                            timer. 25j, automatic, 21,600 bph, 45 hr power reserve

Case material: Stainless steel, one piece design
                            Crown: Screw down
                            Bezel: Uni-directional, indexed w/60 clicks
                            Water resistance: 1000 meters
                            Vintage: 1980 (approx)

Comment

I like Benthos Aquastars as well. Still upset with myself for selling the blue one on the left. Shane Ede in Toronto has serviced mine for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X