Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QotD: What's the coolest watch you no longer own?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QotD: What's the coolest watch you no longer own?

I would guess that nearly everyone here has sold, traded, lost or given a watch away at some point in their lives.
    Simple question: What's the coolest one that got away?

I'll post mine after a while--I want to see yours first!
    Brad
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Rolex Sea Dweller model 1665 "great white". I don't have any pictures of it.
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

I'll do two - one pilot and one diver that I wish I still had...

Tag SuperPro 1000m

Breitling Jupiter

Comment

AP Offshore Perpetual Calendar Moonphase Chronograph. Someone at UPS
        stole it out of their supposedly secure 'lockup' in their Long Island City terminal.

It was on its way to NYC for servicing. This was back at a time before AP's
        service center moved to Florida.

Haven't used UPS since, either personally or in my business.

Kurt
        "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

The two that I really wish I still had are the Girard Perragaux Seahawk Pro II in Titanium on the Titanium Bracelet and the Omega Ploprof on the Shark mesh bracelet (new version). I might still get another Ploprof someday.
          I am living the dream in Hawaii.

Comment

1926 sterling silver cushion Rolex Oyster with sub seconds. With the coin edge bezel and wire lugs. No photos. I sold it in 2000.
            I'm so sick and tired of my friends who can't handle their alcohol. The other night they dropped me three times while carrying me to the car

Comment

I haven't really let any of the really cool ones get away, not where the non-Rado watch world is concerned anyway. The most unique, sure that's easy. This one

P5060377 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
              Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

I had that Heuer Super Pro before I had the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf I sold you. I got rid of the Heuer, the crown was wobbly and I hated it. Other than the crown, the watch ran great and looked good too, but that crown was just unbearable.

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                I'll do two - one pilot and one diver that I wish I still had...

Tag SuperPro 1000m

TKite,
                Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post
                  I had that Heuer Super Pro before I had the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf I sold you. I got rid of the Heuer, the crown was wobbly and I hated it. Other than the crown, the watch ran great and looked good too, but that crown was just unbearable.
                  That's odd - maybe you just had one with a bad crown, but I've owned two and the crowns were very similar to the SSW - not wobbly. I would hate a wobbly crown.

Comment

It's a toss up and I am still kicking myself in the arse. Each worth tens of thousands now :( Alas ... standard.jpg
                    It takes a village ... to raise an idiot.

Comment

Great question. I generally have a reason to sell even if it is only that someone offered me a stupid amount of money. I really loved the Certina Ph2 1000m's for the entire time I owned them, but that time has passed. I had a Vulcain Nautical, really cool, but way too "touchy." Okay, some thought here: Stowa ProDiver that was teal blue face, and an Eterna Super KonTiki red face. (I think at one point half the guys on this forum owned the latter.) I loved the color on both. I am by and large very conservative (in other words boring) in what I wear. Watches and sneakers is where I will occasionally let some color in.

Comment

It only wobbled after I had owned it for about 6 months or a year. I was afraid it would eventually fall off, and Heuers were known for this issue. I got the watch brand new. I had heard the Zodiac was designed by the same guy, but for Zodiac, and that there were no issues with it. I had called Zodiac in Switzerland and asked them if the watch could be used for commercial diving, and they said yes, so I bought one as soon as I could find one.

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

That's odd - maybe you just had one with a bad crown, but I've owned two and the crowns were very similar to the SSW - not wobbly. I would hate a wobbly crown.
                        TKite,
                        Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

I guess I got lucky with the two I owned. Makes sense that the Heuer and the SSW were designed by the same person - they are very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
                            I haven't really let any of the really cool ones get away, not where the non-Rado watch world is concerned anyway. The most unique, sure that's easy. This one

P5060377 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
                            You know that it's in safe hands though mate...
                            http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                              I would guess that nearly everyone here has sold, traded, lost or given a watch away at some point in their lives.
                              Simple question: What's the coolest one that got away?

I'll post mine after a while--I want to see yours first!
                              Brad
                              My turn--I have sold so many over the years, it is hard to say which was the best one or coolest one. A few were nigh on impossible to replace, and very cool for various reasons.
                              I'd have to say these are the top 3:

You've seen this EOT Model 22 model often enough, but this was #01/50, and unlikely ever to hit the market again. I took it in trade and, after much deliberation, sold it to an avid collector along with a Hamilton Model 22 deck chronometer. I may regret this dearly.

Only somewhat less rare than the EOT is this zenith (one of 470). The most comfortable OEM bracelet I have ever encountered, and a slick watch. Only downside was the screw-down chrono pushers, which were a nuisance.

And only about half as rare as the Zenith was this 1969 Speedmaster (one of 1014):

It took me a long time to be comfortable with becoming "The Former Owner" of this, but it was a watershed moment. It has been put up for sale at least twice since I sold it. Both times for more than 2x what I was paid...but I did pretty well.
                              Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X