Back and Forth...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back and Forth...

Got dressed up to go out to eat this evening, so I drawered the Capeland and put on the Rolex. If the Capeland had a nice leather strap, or a titanium oyster bracelet or similar, it would have been fine. The lack of a real bracelet is what killed the watch on the market - now it's something of a cult piece.

CapelandXXXL.JPG
    Picture from last winter of the Capeland on it's current Zulu strap.

Rolex3.jpg
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Love the Capeland and plan to get one someday. I agree, a nice Ti bracelet would have been great. I tend to like bracelets much more than straps.

Comment

There is probably some ti bracelet that would fit. You might try a mesh bracelet, they are lighter than most other steel bracelet so it would not feel out of balance with the ti watch head. If I had that Capeland I would buy and Isofrane.

Comment

I have a mesh bracelet that came with it that Vic Boyd gave me. I hate it, but he gave it to me so I kept it. The only watches I think mesh looks good on are watches with fully hooded lugs. I figure one day I'll go to a B&M dealer and see what they have on other watches, and maybe find a nice bracelet that will fit. As to the isofrane, I never liked them or any other sort of rubber straps. I'm probably going to get some leather and make a couple of nice thick straps for it - one will be a leather zulu I am sure.

Originally posted by mosswood View Post
        There is probably some ti bracelet that would fit. You might try a mesh bracelet, they are lighter than most other steel bracelet so it would not feel out of balance with the ti watch head. If I had that Capeland I would buy and Isofrane.
        TKite,
        Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post
          I'm probably going to get some leather and make a couple of nice thick straps for it - one will be a leather zulu I am sure.
          It's definitely a cool watch. How do you suppose a cork strap would look on that? I bet the right one would look sharp. It still would not be suitable for more formal use, but it would look like nothing else out there.
          Brad

Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

I have never even heard of a 'cork' strap.....
            TKite,
            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Actually, I think a black sailcloth/kevlar works for any occasion. That, and canvas, are what I like best on a watch these days.

I used to like bracelets, but that's back before I got into bigger watches and my damaged wrist joint began getting more sensitive. These days, there's no way I could wear your Rolex for more than ten hours, T. There are several bracelets that still work for me. Oddly, the riveted bracelet on the Oris Heritage diver model is light enough to be comfortable and it's still quite sturdy.
              Oris Heritage 6500.jpg
              I love the bracelet on Omega SMPs, too. Smooth, rounded, and wide enough to spread the weight. That is, if it can be properly fitted, which is a problem for some people.
              omegagmt01.jpg
              My 1675 was made before Rolex got the idea that bigger and heavier was better. It's thinner, lighter, and the Jubilee bracelet is highly comfortable.
              1675.3.00.jpg
              I have bigger watches, too. My Pelagos has a titanium bracelet which still works for me. Wearing it now, in fact.
              tudor pelagos02.jpg
              Other than those, my watches, especially the bigger ones, are all on kevlar or NATO. That makes them comfortable for me to wear..

George
              Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

LOVE the BM. Hate to say it but I can't stand the size of modern Rolex divers. Still have these two and always will standard.jpg
                It takes a village ... to raise an idiot.

Comment

I have a mesh bracelet that came with it that Vic Boyd gave me. I hate it, but he gave it to me so I kept it. The only watches I think mesh looks good on are watches with fully hooded lugs. I figure one day I'll go to a B&M dealer and see what they have on other watches, and maybe find a nice bracelet that will fit. As to the isofrane, I never liked them or any other sort of rubber straps. I'm probably going to get some leather and make a couple of nice thick straps for it - one will be a leather zulu I am sure.

If it is an Artus mesh and the correct lug width, try it. You may not like it. I live in a hot climate and used to wear it in the water frequently. I think it is great.

Comment

I didn't realize that was one of Vic's watches. He and I tried to do a trade involving that and other pieces but it never materialized.
                    Keith

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

sigpic

Comment

I bought it from Vic at breakfast one morning, and he had gotten it from George Olney. I had it sent to Baume & Mercier for a full service last year it's one of my favorite watches.

Originally posted by cdnwatchguy View Post

I didn't realize that was one of Vic's watches. He and I tried to do a trade involving that and other pieces but it never materialized.
                      TKite,
                      Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

IMG_3818.JPG
                        IMG_3819.JPG
                        IMG_3820.JPG
                        IMG_3821.JPG
                        IMG_3822.JPG
                        IMG_3818.JPG
                        Attached Files
                        TKite,
                        Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

I like it. I know some folks don't like the gap at the lugs. It doesn't bother me a bit. Does it feel balanced?

Comment

I put it on this just for the pictures. I really hate it personally. It's a double deployant, and you cannot 'see' through the mesh. I also hate that gap at the lugs. This watch will never look good on mesh in my opinion. As to balance, it does wear well, but that doesn't change my mind. I promptly put it on a black Waterborne strap after these photos (taken for your guys sake).

Originally posted by mosswood View Post
                            I like it. I know some folks don't like the gap at the lugs. It doesn't bother me a bit. Does it feel balanced?
                            TKite,
                            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Now on the Waterborne.....

IMG_3828.JPG
                              IMG_3829.JPG
                              IMG_3831.JPG
                              IMG_3830.JPG
                              TKite,
                              Hydronaut

I need a new watch