Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sink or Swim? Omega museum piece reissued

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I'm not keen on the gold crown but could live with it. The thing I don't like is the 13-24, which I do not care for and I don't think it was on the original. I would happily wear one if given to me.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
      The thing I don't like is the 13-24, which I do not care for and I don't think it was on the original.
      I don't know if this is based on the same watch T. E. Lawrence wore, but his appears to have had the same red 13-24 and is described as follows:
      [Calibre 18''' SO PB CHRO, enamel dial, 1/5-second minute track, hollow Arabic numerals with inner 13-24 in red small seconds at nine o'clock, 15-minute totalizer at 3 o'clock, blued steel Empire hands, lentil-shaped 925 sterling silver case with red gilt mono-pushbutton at 6 o'clock, caseback with hinge, Louis XV crown, curved loops, sewn "two leather straps" bracelet, silver buckle (ref. 568.18)]
      Last edited by Tim.; 07-11-2018, 03:22 AM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Tim. View Post

        I don't know if this is based on the same watch T. E. Lawrence wore, but his appears to have had the same red 13-24 and is described as follows:
        [Calibre 18''' SO PB CHRO, enamel dial, 1/5-second minute track, hollow Arabic numerals with inner 13-24 in red small seconds at nine o'clock, 15-minute totalizer at 3 o'clock, blued steel Empire hands, lentil-shaped 925 sterling silver case with red gilt mono-pushbutton at 6 o'clock, caseback with hinge, Louis XV crown, curved loops, sewn "two leather straps" bracelet, silver buckle (ref. 568.18)]
        LawrenceOmega2.jpg
        Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
          cf1a9c020156a5f6496dacb87caeaecf.jpg

          Comment


          • #20
            I'm surprised the numerals were not lumed. I thought that most of those enamel military dials with the 'hollow' numerals like that were printed in that way so the interior space could be filled with radium paint.
            Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post

              I'm surprised the numerals were not lumed. I thought that most of those enamel military dials with the 'hollow' numerals like that were printed in that way so the interior space could be filled with radium paint.
              Perhaps the reason is due to it being manufactured just prior to the paint being developed. Although radium was discovered in 1898, the metal wasn't isolated until 1911, and since, depending on which order was the original*, this watch may have been ordered as early as 1912, the paint may not have available.

              *The serial number 4'428'513 shown on its movement identifies this chronograph wristwatch as ordered on September 23, 1915 by France or one of its colonies, while the serial number 4'789'732 on its caseback refers to a standard 17'''hunting type pocket watch ordered on September 1912 by the agent Joseph Sewill of Liverpool! The caseback interior was enlarged by hand in order to fit the case-middle size of the 18''' chronograph. Its dust-protective double back cover was eliminated to allow this replacement back, flatter than the original one, to snap when closing.

              I suppose this raises the possibility that Lawrence's movement was replaced at some point after Sept 23 1915.
              Last edited by Tim.; 07-13-2018, 01:09 AM.

              Comment

              Working...
              X