Sink or Swim? Omega museum piece reissued

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sink or Swim? Omega museum piece reissued

This is a new LE from Omega, using some revitalized vintage movements.
    What do you think?

omega18a.jpg

While the outside design closely follows a popular Omega wrist-chronograph from 1913 a real piece of history is found within. Each of the 18 limited edition models houses an original 18''' CHRO calibre from 1913. Retrieved from the vaults at the Omega Museum, the prized calibers have been beautifully refurbished by the experts at Omega's Atelier Tourbillon.

Several hundred hours of handcrafted work went into transforming each of the 18''' CHRO movements. The refurbishment was a skilled process undertaken in-house and all machines used were original, ensuring that the watchmaking remained true to history. Each of the 18 movements were different in their own way, so the watchmakers began with a separate analysis for each one. New components and plans were then prepared.

omega18c.jpg

The reaction on TZ was pretty negative, mostly saying it's an ugly watch/dial.
    I think it's fantastic and true to its origins.
    Any opinions here (as if)?
    ]
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Sinker.... the watch dial, hands, presentation of the face is horrid. The movement looks very beautiful, it's a shame it's not a display back. I find this very Un-Omega in appearance.
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

It looks very much like a very good recreation of T.E. Lawrence's WWI era Omega.

http://famouswatches.blogspot.com/20...ronograph.html

Comment

I think it's a beautiful recreation of a vintage Omega - I like it, but I am certain I would never pay what they want for one.

Comment

It seems to be very true to the original and I think it's great they're using the original movements.

Comment

oh boy. That crown :P

Comment

fb28550971635b5fe2dc5c90f32a0afa.gif

Comment

Some things should remain in the past......

Originally posted by eatabagel View Post
                It looks very much like a very good recreation of T.E. Lawrence's WWI era Omega.

http://famouswatches.blogspot.com/20...ronograph.html
                TKite,
                Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Not for me.
                  Keith

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

sigpic

Comment

I like the dial but the mixture of gold and silver spoils it for me.
                    http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Swim, for a number of reasons: first it is faithful to an old aesthetic, something I admire regardless of whether I appreciate that aesthetic, which in this instance I do. Second, I appreciate the gamble of creating so few and having sufficient parts to service. I know that the market is those who can probably just burn money, but still... Finally, I appreciate anyone who would buy such. It is not as if you would be around someone else who would say, "Hey, I have one of those."

Comment

Originally posted by mosswood View Post
                        Swim, for a number of reasons: first it is faithful to an old aesthetic, something I admire regardless of whether I appreciate that aesthetic, which in this instance I do.
                        I'm surprised at how many criticisms I have read of the dial. To me, that is simply what enamel chronograph dials looked like 100 years ago. That was the norm and, whether one likes it or not, this is a faithful recreation. Dismissing this watch because the dial isn't appealing is akin to dismissing the Mona Lisa because she was painted wearing the fashions of her time. It could not be otherwise.
                        Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

I am in the minority, I like it. I have always liked 2 tones if done with a deft hand, so the gold and silver together works for me. I also like the thin blued hands, they tend to remind me of old charcoal bluing on an old fine firearm, something else I have always loved. The chrono button is in a very sleek, sly place, making the entire package very sleek and clean looking for a chrono. The face kind of reminds me a bit of old pocket watches, something else I don't mind. Overall, I think it dares to be different, nothing wrong with that.It was Omega, before what we think of as Omega...

I would not pay the price they are probably asking, but if I were apt to do so, that one would be in contention for purchasing. I would hover probably replace the strap, that strap does nothing for it.
                          Last edited by S.L.Dickinson; 07-07-2018, 12:12 PM.
                          sigpic Let the music be your Master, will you heed the Master's call?

Comment

Only the price and availability sinks it, but other than that, seriously, this is an absolutely gorgeous machine!
                            JP

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

I admit that it is pretty cool but not my style. I would never buy one.
                              I am living the dream in Hawaii.

Comment

Working...
                              X