What's your MVP?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your MVP?

I'm involved in brainstorming at work. I'm part of a team trying to define the future of some systems we use to manage information, guide product strategy, and produce documents for submission to regulatory authorities worldwide. This is relevant because we're using the term 'Minimally Viable Product" (MVP) to describe what we could start with, while intending to improve upon it to build the ultimate platform.

To bring it into watch context, you may recall we had a recent thread in which we described things we do not want in a watch. Let's turn that around a bit.
    Instead of listing the deal-breakers, let's describe the necessary components of watches we would use. In other words:

What are the most important features that would get you to consider a watch for regular use?

Don't think about the exceptions (obviously if you travel only a moderate amount, you don't need to consider a multi-timezone watch as indispensable, but if you have family in another country, maybe it is)--consider what features, if left out, would cause you to overlook the watch and choose another.

I'll give it a go...roughly in order of importance:
    Automatic - I don't want to have to wind my everyday watch, and I'm not generally keen on stepper-motor quartz.
    Date - Lots of guys like the purity of a dial without a date window, but I want that information handy.
    Lume - If I cannot read it in varying light conditions, it's not meeting my expectations.
    Accuracy - I'm not in need of chronometer-spec timing, but a vintage (or modern) piece that can lose 3-4 minutes by the end of the week gets annoying.
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 06-22-2018, 09:44 AM.
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Good question!

1. Tough. I don't want to have to think "should I take it off." I have banged watches into lots of "stuff," gotten them wet, muddy, sweaty (just killed a Fit Bit apparently from sweat). There is a reason I wear divers primarily.
    2. Legible. Old eyes, trifocals... if I can't tell what time it is, what is the point? Lume would fall here.
    3. Accurate. I want to know the CORRECT time.
    4. Not too heavy. For many years I wore bulky divers (think Certina Ph2 1000m). Some time ago I bought a titanium watch. Then I bought another. And again another... I am converted. I still have collectible bulky watches, they just don't get worn.

Comment

For watches I pay a significant amount for, they have to be:

1) Rugged.
      2) Accurate
      3) Legible
      4) 200M water resistant or better - with one exception, the Rolex Cosmograph (which I do not own)
      5) Automatic
      TKite,
      Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

The topic, I like it! MVP made me think at first of Mitral Valve Prolapse-just studying this right now

Any way, what I consider my MVP in a watch:

1) Accuracy-doesn't have to be COSC specs but it is nice. I used to obsess about + and - but now as long as it's within a minute or two a week, I'm good (prefer faster than slower).
        2) Water resistance-not a diver yet, but I have ruined a few watches due to jumping in rivers,pools, etc. I need to have a watch that can survive my stupidity.
        3) Corrosion resistant-Prefer titanium since I don't have to worry about corrosion, but can do steel
        4) Must be able to take a hit and laugh it off-pretty much see reason #2 again
        5) timing device-I use a bezel in the medical field for timing things so I've really grown use to having a dive bezel
        6) Decent Lume-I have to be able to see it at night.

I could say things like day/date, other functions but this is what I need on a day to day basis.

Kev
        Last edited by Kevin M; 06-24-2018, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Legibility. Need high contrast dial and hands. (Old eyes)
          dial diameter of at least 30mm.
          Water resistance of at least 200m.
          Bright lume and lumed bezel or at least bezel pip.
          Automatic accurate to withing +-10sec/day.
          Corrosion resistant steel.
          Ability to accept bracelet or strap.
          Height under 14mm

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Legibility. Need high contrast dial and hands. (Old eyes)
            dial diameter of at least 30mm.
            Water resistance of at least 200m.
            Bright lume and lumed bezel or at least bezel pip.
            Automatic accurate to withing +-10sec/day.
            Corrosion resistant steel.
            Ability to accept bracelet or strap.
            Height under 14mm
            I like the ability to accept a bracelet or strap. I like to be able to switch to a mil style nylon strap.

Comment

I Need a watch, thats not too big, not too heavy,easily readable, has a date (as big as possible) and has a good lume.
              Peter

Comment

I'm easy on this one - I have to like it, obviously, but the most important factor for me is size. I've bought watches that were great looking, IMO, only to sell them because they were just too small. Anything under 40mm is not going to get worn, so over 40mm is important. If it's a dive watch, screw down crown and 200m WR minimum. That's about it for me.

Comment

Working...
                X