Rolex owners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolex owners

I'd prefer to ask you guys about your take on vintage Rolex. I've got a Sea-Dweller and GMT, both circa 2001 or so in mind. It's not a matter of choosing, I want to get both My question to y'all is, what do you think of Rolex servicing? Specifically when you get that vintage watch serviced and back on the wrist would you hesitate to take it for a quick in the ocean/pool? Any other worries? Seems to me that Rolex does a much better job of keeping their customers in parts longer than say, Seiko etc. Thanks for any and all thoughts on the matter

I have had several Rolex watches serviced by Rolex NYC and when they came back they were as good as the day that I bought them. I would never hesitate to wear one on a SCUBA dive or snorkeling trip.
    I am living the dream in Hawaii.

Comment

Great, but you pay for it.

Just be aware that if they replace any parts, even a dial or hands, they will use newer service parts and you will not get the originals back.

Comment

I have heard good things about Rolex NYC, but not so good about Rolex Dallas. That said, I think I would rather have my Rolex serviced in Switzerland if they even do such a thing - don't know, I have not had it done. I believe there is a 2 year warranty on serviced watches - don't quote me, I just believe I remember hearing that in the past. I've heard that if the service center replaces a sapphire crystal it does not have the etched crown - this may be totally false, as I cannot see Rolex ever doing that it would be compromising the validity of the service in my opinion. I think you should call Rolex USA in NYC and talk with them. Have your questions ready so you aren't fumbling about. As to service costs, I hear people complain about the $500+ cost of refurbishing a Rolex, but I will tell you that it cost me just as much to get my Baume & Mercier Capeland done (a $2000 watch, basically). I paid over $500 for a complete overhaul of the watch, new parts, new o-rings etc. so I would say it is more of a bargain on a Rolex as my Sea Dweller cost me more than $12K.
        TKite,
        Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Rolex Service does come with a new warranty and I don't remember but I think it is 2 years. If they replace a crystal it has the laser etched crown and it is 100% the same as the original. If you have an older special dial like a double red Seadweller they may not service it at all. I had my Baume and Mercier Capeland XXL serviced by the B&M factory service center and it cost $800, which my insurance covered. It was equally as thorough and the watch was beautiful when I got it back. I sent an Omega Seamaster in for similar service and had the same result and it was also about $800, again paid by my insurance policy. I have a Grand Seiko Diver in for service now and the charge was $650, but I have not gotten it back yet, so I can't tell you the result.
          I am living the dream in Hawaii.

Comment

Well I think that pretty much says it.
            TKite,
            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Have a Sea-Dweller from 2005, but haven't had it serviced yet, so I can't comment. I've had vintage divers serviced by IWW and, of course, they were done right.

Comment

Thanks guys! I figure with these two watches I'll have my bases covered I always worry about parts too. Vintage parts can be hard to come by but knowing a brand stands behind its watches takes a weight off. I figure most servicing is going to be expensive but i'd rather have it done right than with aftermarket parts of dubious origin.

Comment

It seems that all Rolex service centres are not created equal. I have used RSC Toronto and been very happy. However as Chris said you will not get old parts back and the new parts may negatively affect the value of a vintage piece. Rolex would much rather sell you a new watch than fuss with repairing a vintage one. There are many independents that do a fine job and that is probably where I would go in the future (unless it was one I knew I was going to flip in which case the RSC service carries a cachet to a lot of potential buyers).

I have unloaded every vintage piece I owned with the exception of this one:

I used to wear any watch doing anything but the reality of vintage pieces becoming more valuable and period parts becoming more scarce or expensive made me stop wearing vintage and that for me means time to sell. Except this one although I am not very hard on this one anymore.

Keith

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks! If I decide to go for it I don't think I'd sell in the future. It is a good point that service parts lessen the resale value of the watch. I just figured all parts were the same-one crown or stem being equal to the next (depending on watch of course).

Comment

Working...
                    X