Ballyhoo!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballyhoo!

At work last night there were huge schools of Ballyhoo swarming around the sub and dock at work. Apparently they are mating in the harbor and bays of the coast this time of the year. There were literally thousands of these billed baitfish in multiple groups jumping out of the water which sounded like rain hitting the water. Today we are bringing nets! Also here is a picture of the only watch that I wear to work due to the presence of oil, dirt, diesel and bumping around.

20171201_204135.jpg

Ballyhoo08.jpg

Ballyhoo05.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vjb.knife; 03-12-2018, 03:50 PM.
    I am living the dream in Hawaii.

Where there are little fish there are big fish!

Comment

Is that one of dem dare 200 dollar g shocks?
      sigpic
      Brandon (and Maddie, RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Where there are little fish there are big fish!
        True, these are the best bait for Marlin, Swordfish, etc., as well as being fairly good eating when fried crispy. And there are always large Tiger Sharks, Hawaiian Monk Seals and others in the harbor.

Comment

Originally posted by BA1970 View Post
          Is that one of dem dare 200 dollar g shocks?
          I think it was actually about $400, but it is my beater.

Comment

I hope you're getting Submarine Pilot lessons out of this too sir
            TKite,
            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Very nice beater! And man, am I envious of your work day, thanks for snapping some pics.

Comment

I am not getting trained as a pilot on the submarine. It is an expensive and time consuming process and there are several guys doing it in the operations department currently. You must become a Coast Guard certified commercial Captain and it takes a couple of years. I do get to operate most of the systems during testing and maintenance activities but we do not pilot the sub away from the dock. I dove on the Sub last night and performed maintenance on it and the tender/ transfer boat. I dove this new setup Scubapro Full Face Mask with Scubapro S600 second stage on an Atomic ST1 First stage. It worked out well, but I think I will get a hose swivel at the mask.

FullFaceMask.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin M View Post
                  Very nice beater! And man, am I envious of your work day, thanks for snapping some pics.
                  Sometimes it is pretty cool, but most of the time it is like any other maintenance engineering job that I have had. It's old, it gets abused, it is in harsh conditions, stuff breaks, the parts might not be in stock, the documentation is poor, and we have to figure it out. I am getting more familiar with the equipment now and it is getting a little easier. Luckily the guys I work with are all good and fun to work with, which is pretty important to me these days.

Comment

Looks like something the bad guys would wear in a video game. Speaking as a former ground pounder, more power to you, Vince!

Actually, that looks very interesting to the part of me that writes science fiction. Hm.

George
                    Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

I think having a good crew to work with is the one of the best parts about work, no matter the career. I think the work itself can become routine but a good crew can keep a day or night lively

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin M View Post
                        I think having a good crew to work with is the one of the best parts about work, no matter the career. I think the work itself can become routine but a good crew can keep a day or night lively
                        ++++!

Comment

Frankly, Vince, I'd give a lot to be there with a good six foot cast net and a heavy duty rod for the big boys.
                          Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Wish I could say that about my work.

Originally posted by vjb.knife View Post
                            ++++!
                            sigpic
                            Brandon (and Maddie, RIP)

Comment

Working...
                            X