Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George W. Olney View Post
    Triumph TR-7.

I bought one when I made Captain and it turned out to be a great car for a young couple and their small dog. Two seater, but a huge amount of room. Big trunk. Crazy fun to drive on any twisty road. Minor problem: stuff kept breaking and falling off. Classical British car, in other words. Traded it in when it became obvious a baby was on the way. Dealer's son took it out and blew the engine. I figured the idiot would do that, but we were already in a turbo-charged Buick Regal, so I didn't care.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25138[/ATTACH]

George
    That's a sharp looking car George, despite the fact that it kept breaking down. I remember these having a bad name for reliability, second only to the Triumph Stag that received the "Square Wheel Award" for a couple of years running for spending more time in the repair shop than on the road.
    P.S. I note the eucalypts in the background, that shot could so easily mistaken for the Australian countryside.

Comment

Originally posted by George W. Olney View Post
      Man, those are beautiful! I really love the Lotus. Almost had a Europa after graduation from the Citadel, but sanity set in. Got a Gremlin instead. Wa-a-ay too much sanity set in.

George
      I have to agree with you re: the "too much sanity" George, what were you thinking!. Although the Gremlin (interesting choice of name for a car, I must say) has become somewhat collectable, I doubt it would be as desirable to a collector as the Europa you didn't buy.
      It's interesting, on doing a little research I find the Gremlin was apparently imported into Australia in some numbers, both flat packed right hand drive versions, assembled locally for our market and quite a few complete cars, imported by American servicemen stationed here at the time. The numbers can't have been very high though, I have never seen one on the road here.
      Last edited by Tim.; 01-30-2018, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Boy, there's some terrific stuff here. I'm truly humbled by many of these classic car stories.

I've always been a car enthusiasts, but never could quite bring myself to own a nice classic in my younger days. I had what some called, jokingly, vintage cars, but there's a difference between old and vintage

I do have one vintage toy in the garage now. My 1973 Alfa Romeo Spider. I actually had a 78, but sold it and got myself this one, which is in pretty good shape for its age, and a hoot to drive.

JP

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Internet pic. It could well be Oz.
          Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

The trick is, JP, that except for my Chevy truck, none of my vintage vehicles were vintage when I got them. Exception here was my first and second cars. First was a 57 Renault Dauphin (cost $100), which was replaced by a 58 version ($150). Neither one could do more than 40MPH. Oh, and you could start them with a hand crank if necessary, which it was several times.

George
            Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Originally posted by mosswood View Post
              The MK II. The MK I was used and a bit abused when I got it. I replaced the motor and it ran well for years, but the interior did not hold up well. And for some reason people liked to steal the radio. It was stolen twice. Only car I ever had that was broken into. I toughened the suspension on the MK II changed rims and it was a lot of fun to drive... IN DRY WEATHER. I would have been interested in the Corrado VR6 but for family considerations....
              I test drove a Corrado VR6 ca. 1992 in anticipation of signing a record deal that didn't materialize.
              And now I have to wait 15 more years before it will be legal to register a Scirocco Mk III in the USA.
              Life is full of disappointments.
              Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

A lovely Alfa spyder...all of them were stunning, before the Feds and their Awful Bumper Rules dove in to ruin automotive design forever.

Comment

Daily Driver Since 1993....

Kurt
                  Last edited by kurt48; 02-02-2018, 10:53 PM.
                  "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Very nice Kurt.
                    Keith

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Keith

Comment

There are some nice ones there guys. I have owned some old cars but nothing I would call vintage. We have 2 new Subaru's now. I did own a VW Scirroco about 1981 to 1983, which was a pretty fun car. I would really like to have an older Mercedes but probably never will.
                        I am living the dream in Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by vjb.knife View Post
                          I would really like to have an older Mercedes but probably never will.
                          Aloha Vince,
                          I suspect mine would feel quite at home on the Big Island. I'm selling it soon, but it might cost a pretty penny to ship it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                            Aloha Vince,
                            I suspect mine would feel quite at home on the Big Island. I'm selling it soon, but it might cost a pretty penny to ship it there.

I would love it but you are right it would cost about $2000 to get it here. When we moved we sold both of our cars in PA and bought new ones here. My wife will probably never let me have a Mercedes. I am getting away with some pretty cool diving gear lately though.
                            I am living the dream in Hawaii.

Comment

I owned every Gnarly old Ratter on its last legs when i was a youth but a couple stood out as particularly good cars. I sometimes wish I could get hold of a nice example of them now.

The 'flying poo' my brown Mini was my first ever car and it never went wrong, went round corners as if on rails and being only a couple of inches off the deck felt like it was doing 100mph when it was actually only doing 45. It was written off in a collision with a wall.....the wall won.

My brilliant Saab 99, pure class, excellent Swedish engineering, smooth as silk but when the brake calipers needed replacing my meagre wage wasnt sufficient at the time and she was carted off to the scrap yard. Probably my favourite car of all my old ones.
                              Attached Files

Comment

What a shame....killing the car for just brakes.

:-(

Comment

Working...
                                X