It's a new year.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a new year.

It's 2018, guys, and we've undergone some serious changes here. A few months back, we had a dying forum on our hands. Now, things are different and we're growing once again. Members are coming back. A lot of the credit for that belongs to TKite, by the way.

We have a new name for ourselves one that actually matches the attitude around here. We have two new moderators that are taking an active interest in the wellbeing of our forum. One, TKite, is a retired professional diver with more underwater time (and further down) than anybody here. The other is an old soldier whose idea of immersing his body in water is to slip in a Jacuzzi with the hot platinum blonde he married forty seven years ago.

Along with the above, we have a new enthusiasm for our fellowship.

If we're going to make a go of this, guys, that can't be all. The success of a forum rests on its members and their active participation. Go ahead and post something. It doesn't have to be dive watch or even watch related, just something you want to say or think someone else would like to talk about. I promise TKite and I won't fuss, unless you're being obnoxious or politically correct. Or, God forbid, political. A good attitude, a little humor, and something you think is interesting is all that's needed.

I'd also like to challenge the membership to help us grow. If you know someone that might like the place, invite them to join. They don't have to be divers, just someone that enjoys our kind of discussions.

Anyhow, let's get out and help this place grow in 2018.

George
    Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Great post George, but I would have to say that Vince is also a retired Commercial Diver, and he might just have more experience than myself. Chris is a technical diver and underwater archeologist. Either way, we have divers here, whether Commercial, Technical SCUBA, or recreational SCUBA, and ALL add to this forum. As George said, it's not just about the watches here, though it is a watch forum. George and I discussed "The League" many times over the years, and George is actually the one who coined the membership here, though some might be a bit salty - 'Gentlemen' indeed

Let's start out 2018 with a bang. Invite people you know that would fit in here. Guys who have been there done that, or desk diver enthusiasts. All are welcome, just keep it gentlemanly. For all you long time members still lurking, come on out of the shadows and participate. It doesn't matter if you haven't bought a watch in a few years, come share your pictures and let's talk dive watches, or even aerospace watches if that's what you have.

Thank you to all for coming back - even Sam Garcia popped his head up once for air

PS: I pinned this thread for a while at the top so everyone gets to read it and respond if they like. Thank you again.
    Last edited by TKite; 01-10-2018, 01:10 PM.
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Yep, you're right, T, I forgot Vince. Sorry about that, Vince.
      Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Glad to see the forum is active again! I confess stuff took me away, rough past few years but back on the regular-(ish) now Just beginning my adventure with diving, reading and watching online videos before getting my feet wet. Would appreciate any insight from experienced forum members on the subject

And Chris is a budding watchmaker now too, can't wait to see what is forthcoming
        Kev
        Last edited by Kevin M; 01-10-2018, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Hopefully 2018 smooths out a bit, its been a bumpy ride so far lol.
          sigpic Let the music be your Master, will you heed the Master's call?

Comment

So d*mn serious!

Actually thank you both for your efforts and EOT for trying this again! As time and energy and focus permits I will be around.

Well not too sure about focus, age and all...

Comment

Thanks for the mention guys but I am pretty sure that T has more commercial diving experience than I do. But, I am an avid snorkeler now and I get to dive on the Submarine that I work on about once a week on average, now. Glad to be a small part of the group here. I have a cool story from work. About two weeks ago we had a 15 foot Tiger Shark hanging out around our dock. None of the other guys are too crazy about going diving since, but I don't think it is that big of a deal. We are working in Honokohau Harbor north of Kona on the Big Island and I believe we saw the shark shown in this website called "Fourteen" (http://milisenphotography.yolasite.c...r-shark-id.php). I am going to have to start bringing my underwater camera setup to work.
              I am living the dream in Hawaii.

Comment

That's awesome Vince. I had a Bull shark swim right for the face plate (of my helmet) once on a pier inspection dive. I backed right around that pier quick. He came out of the murk, the visibility was around 12-18" at best. Seen a lot of sharks, but never one like that ever again - up close and personal!
                Last edited by TKite; 01-14-2018, 01:51 PM.
                TKite,
                Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post
                  I had a Bull shark swim right for the face place once on a pier inspection dive. I backed right around that pier quick. He came out of the murk, the visibility was around 12-18" at best. Seen a lot of sharks, but never one like that ever again - up close and personal!
                  The only way I would want to see one is through a few inches of glass, me on one side the shark on the other!

Comment

Working...
                  X