OK, so I just got this one back.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, so I just got this one back.

Been mulling over the fact that I'd like a comfortable GMT for our trip to visit our son and his family for Christmas. They live in Niceville (Eglin AFB) in the western Florida panhandle which is in the Central time zone. TKite put it in my head that it was a mistake to give up my Glycine Airman DC-4 and, upon not too much thought, I had to agree. Ergo, I worked a deal to get it back.

Herein is a none-too-sharp Q&D of my newest previously owned (by me) watch, currently on my wrist. It'll probably stay with me now. It's currently set for both time zones.

Glycine Airman DC4 00.jpg

For TKite: They ae out there, buddy, for a pretty reasonable cost.

George
    Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but right now a new gas range is on the books - I'm already feeling too guilty over the Sea Dweller

Glad you got it back, I think it's a must have watch and one of Glycines best in my opinion.
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

That's really cool you were able to get the original back. Perfect sized too. The models I've seen lately online are monsters!

Comment

Amen to that, Kevin. It's still a little big for me at 42mm, but it seems I'm getting used to that size. I recently held another Airman, a near duplicate of the original, grown to 40mm. I liked it, but there wasn't a cyclops and that's one of the reasons I like this one.

George
        Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

I've come to appreciate a cyclops lens. My arms just aren't getting longer! I had a Casio(?) once that put the lens under the crystal which I thought was a unique approach. Of course companies could do like Grand Seiko and just make the date print 1.5 times the norm. Either way, being able to not have to find my glasses or squint myself into a headache is now ideal for me
          Last edited by Kevin M; 11-30-2017, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Is that an original, George? Looks like it.

A very iconic watch that rarely gets any press.

Chris

Originally posted by George W. Olney View Post
            Amen to that, Kevin. It's still a little big for me at 42mm, but it seems I'm getting used to that size. I recently held another Airman, a near duplicate of the original, grown to 40mm. I liked it, but there wasn't a cyclops and that's one of the reasons I like this one.

George

Comment

Kevin, the lens under the crystal is a very old approach. The original had one, back fifty years ago.

RE: Cyclops. You and I are in full agreement.

George

Comment

No, Chris, it isn't one of the Vietnam era originals. I had one once and posted it here a time or two. This one is a recent redesign (one of several by Glycine) and less than a year old.

George

Comment

That is one I have ALWAYS like, I really jonesed after the maroon version of that watch, really bad for a long time. Seeing that one makes me think I just might have to scratch that itch, if I can find one. Have not seen the maroon version in a while.
                  sigpic Let the music be your Master, will you heed the Master's call?

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post
                    I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but right now a new gas range is on the books - I'm already feeling too guilty over the Sea Dweller

Glad you got it back, I think it's a must have watch and one of Glycines best in my opinion.
                    We JUST had to replace our gas range a couple weeks ago. We had an electric one here in the new house and I hated it, when it died suddenly we had gas ran and got a new gas range, expensive process but I like it so much better.
                    sigpic Let the music be your Master, will you heed the Master's call?

Comment

Originally posted by S.L.Dickinson View Post
                      We JUST had to replace our gas range a couple weeks ago. We had an electric one here in the new house and I hated it, when it died suddenly we had gas ran and got a new gas range, expensive process but I like it so much better.
                      I'm with you - we are going tomorrow night. Need a new range (gas!), fridge, and dishwasher. I am hoping the store I am going to might give me a package deal. Some do that.

As to that Glycine, I have to have one. I got another similar one by Glycine back around July, but it had a GMT hand that was 30 minutes off and you cannot adjust it - so it went back for a refund. I should have just gotten one like Georges from the get go. Now I have the new Sea Dweller, so I have to kind of push back my 'wants' for a while. I do want to get one as soon as possible though, I do NOT want to miss out in case it fades from existance.
                      TKite,
                      Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post
                        I'm with you - we are going tomorrow night. Need a new range (gas!), fridge, and dishwasher. I am hoping the store I am going to might give me a package deal. Some do that.

As to that Glycine, I have to have one. I got another similar one by Glycine back around July, but it had a GMT hand that was 30 minutes off and you cannot adjust it - so it went back for a refund. I should have just gotten one like Georges from the get go. Now I have the new Sea Dweller, so I have to kind of push back my 'wants' for a while. I do want to get one as soon as possible though, I do NOT want to miss out in case it fades from existance.

I think you made the right decision. I doubt Rolex will keep making the red letter SD for too long. You definitely have something special there.

Comment

Considering it is supposed to be a 50th anniversary edition, I am hoping that the red letter version will not continue into 2018.
                          TKite,
                          Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Working...
                          X