Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Dive Watch

Would you get the Tudor Black Bay or Omega Planet Ocean 45.5

I'd get the one that I personally most enjoyed. Which one do you like best?
    sigpicHook 'Em
    "Just as watch collectors are keepers of a tradition of a mechanical art, so too are dive watch owners keepers of a legacy of rugged instruments that accompanied man on some of his greatest adventures. Wear your dive watch proudly."

Comment

I think I'd go with the Black Bay as 45.5 is a bit big on my 7" wrist. I've had several that size, but I just keep inventing excuses for selling them off. Like many here, 40 to 42mm is my sweet spot.
      "From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free."
      Jacques Yves Cousteau

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
        I think I'd go with the Black Bay as 45.5 is a bit big on my 7" wrist. I've had several that size, but I just keep inventing excuses for selling them off. Like many here, 40 to 42mm is my sweet spot.
        Completely agree, Mitch.

And with the Black Bay you get a new watch with an excellent vintage feel. Best of both worlds.
        Steve

Comment

Very good point. 45 mm is a big watch and too big for most folks. To get the 45.5 you'd have to really enjoy a big watch.
          sigpicHook 'Em
          "Just as watch collectors are keepers of a tradition of a mechanical art, so too are dive watch owners keepers of a legacy of rugged instruments that accompanied man on some of his greatest adventures. Wear your dive watch proudly."

Comment

The Tudor hands down.

Originally posted by Danmitch65 View Post
            Would you get the Tudor Black Bay or Omega Planet Ocean 45.5
            TKite,
            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

My choice would be Tudor, but as TR said, get the one that you like best - the one that you think of most. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Comment

I agree with this as well.... They are two completely different feels in a watch. The PO is a worthy watch of course, but at that size it's a dinner plate for me. I prefer the 40 / 42mm range. Rolex has had it right all these years despite what anyone says. The Sea Dweller I sold Mitch was probably the most comfortable watch I have ever worn. The Black Bay Tudor has style, vintage appeal, new watch water resistance, and at that size is probably extremely comfortable.

Originally posted by sfglenrock View Post
                Completely agree, Mitch.

And with the Black Bay you get a new watch with an excellent vintage feel. Best of both worlds.
                TKite,
                Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Sounds like finding a Tudor Black Bay is now my Jewelers new mission!

Comment

The Blackbay is about half the retail of the PO (in Canada anyways). The PO has an all in-house co-axial escapement movement with greater power reserve and is also chronometer certified. The Blackbay has an ETA 2824 under the hood, just like you might find under hundreds of other brands. Try them on and see which one you like more...
                    JP

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Seeing as I already have a PO 45.5, an orange bezel first generation in SS, I'd probably go with the Tudor for variety. The caveatt: if we are talking about the blue dialed PO, with the Ti case, I'd snag that over the Black Bay in a heartbeat.

But look at both in person and make your decision then; nothing substitutes for trying it on your wrist and checking out the lume in person. Many times you'll be surprised at how something looks a 100 times better in the flesh, or how disappointing something will be that looked absolutely killer online. Remember, some of the guys here have fantastic digital photography skills, while others could make Marylin Monroe look like a wall flower (I'm in that latter category).
                      John

Comment

I would go with the black bay. The lack of macro adjustment on the clasp for the PO is a deal breaker for me.

Otherwise, I would go with the PO (with the better movement)

Comment

Working...
                        X