New Seiko Stargate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Seiko Stargate?

Has anyone seen the new Seiko Stargate? Neither did I... I actually doubt there is one yet but if there was one I wish it would look as good or better then the old discontinued one.

Personally I took at shot at it and did what I thought could be a possiblity, or at least one possible look. Of course I am no watch maker or producer and I don't make my own watches or parts. So I had to use something readily available. There are lots of aftermarket parts of course and some of them are really nice and well made. In choosing parts I personally like some writing on the dial, I mean I prefer the non sterile looks with maybe the brand name on it or writing like "automatic" or similar. So recently I have used original Seiko parts for some projects and I liked them.

First one has to mock up the possible looks and then search and find the parts to execute that particular look. I did that and found some dial and hands that I liked from another Seiko watch model. I then contacted Rob at monsterwatch.eu who has been extremely helpful in getting these parts to me. As a matter of fact he has helped me several times in the past in getting original Seiko parts and he surely has a big hand in my creations. But that is probably due to the fact that he himself is a WIS and does many great projects himself.

I got the watch used from another forum member, yes that's how I can afford getting these, I try to get them used so they can fit within my meager watch budget. With the watch in hand and the parts I got to work and here is the result. I hope you can put up with my poor photographic skills...

For those who are not familiar with it, these are original hands and dial of the Seiko SARB059, Alpinist. I thought that they would look good on this watch because the case is really nice and in fact nicer then the original Alpinist, at least in my opinion. I thought that the overall design would be well proportionate and good looking. I think I was right....

Here are a few photos of the watch together with the other Stargates that I have. You can see the slightly difference in design and proportions, but overall each one is a winner in my book. In truth I like them all, I cannot really make up my mind as to which is better, and so I stopped thinking about it. I just love them all, and find that each, in its own way, is great looking.

By the way, I have a plan to handle the red ring around the crown, I got some enamel and I will try paint it soon... I will post new photos when done.

And yes, the dial is really green, but so dark green that most of the times it looks black. I had to tilt it to show the color which is just awesome. Of course the below photos also show the inevitable dust specs and lint that forever afflict my poor pictures...

Seiko should be paying you a salary as a designer.
    John

Comment

Nice!

I like that. I'm not usually into mods,but I think your modded one looks even better than the originals.

Comment

Looks like the new Alpinist too. Nice!

Comment

Stargate

Originally posted by JDS (Ohio) View Post
          Seiko should be paying you a salary as a designer.
          Thank you for the kind words.

Comment

Originally posted by jswing View Post
            I like that. I'm not usually into mods,but I think your modded one looks even better than the originals.
            Thank you my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik K View Post
              Looks like the new Alpinist too. Nice!
              Thank you and I am absolutely shocked by how nice the dial is, the green metallic color is amazing...

Comment

Working...
              X