No announcement yet.

OT (sort of): The death of English...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate this. And thanks for the tip on that writer.
    I've been dying a slow death here, near Philadelphia, where the local news outlets have eliminated the verb To Be from usage.

Anchor: Action News cameras on the scene at 5th and Crack Pipe in the Mayfair section of the city. Police investigating a multiple killing...

Listener (Me): 'Are' on the scene you idiot!!! Police 'are' investigating!!!

Has this devolution crept into other cities yet? I hope not.
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

What's the Lionel Train forum using? ;-)
      sigpic

Comment

well, the issue over there is..., I worry about them tracking me...

(I just so crack me up...)

Comment

I haven't seen that on the news here in Indy, but I see that on watch forums a lot: "Looking for a diver..."

That, along with the use of conjunctives to start the first sentence in a post ("So, my wife gave me the green light to buy another watch...") drives me nuts. But I keep real literature on my nightstand so that I don't start internalizing the bad habits I see on the internet.
          sigpic
          Jeff
          UR4 scuba?

Comment

Well, some of them may not have English as their first language, but you are probably right on the money with the "don't like to read" observation. Many people only read what happens to be on their computer screen, not the best place to absorb grammar and spelling.
            John

Comment

can I use, 'A very well argumented question is put and followed up corretly and clearly'..? F### knows what it means but it sure would stop a Brit in his tracks if you said it to him....

I agree regarding well written Forum posts here... but my hangouts traditionally have been here, OTD and my place where people seem just er, well, er, consider what they are about to write to the world...

doesn't seem too tough to me.... and I ain't that smarts!!

Comment

Originally posted by TylerEOT View Post
                What's the Lionel Train forum using? ;-)

Comment

Working...
                X